Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2021, 10:58 AM

Default Re: 2021.12 | Release Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
This really surprises me. You guys don't get the VCA graphic bug and other glitchy graphic things from time to time?

Virtual Instruments will randomly stop playing for me including randomly dropping out when bouncing projects (started in 2021.10).

Now version 2021.12 will crash when I try to use clip EFX EQ on clips.

Then there are far more crashes in Big Sur than there were in Catalina. Pro Tools in Catalina would go a day or two without a single crash. Pro Tools in Big Sur crashes at least 4-5 a day with just random things. Many times mouse clicks hang on me like Pro Tools doesn't register the mouse release. Delay compensation gets off with plugins with large amounts of latency even when it doesn't max out.

I'm on a Mac Pro 2019 with 160 GB of RAM and 3.2 16 Core processor. While I run on low buffer settings, I still seem to have plenty of power left in the computer, so I don't think these things are happening because of the computer maxing out.
I rarely am in Mix Window mode since I work on an S4 or a C|24 control surface all the time. But I have seen that VCA meter thing. If you just toggle from narrow to normal or visa versa, the VCA meter displays correctly.

No issues with mouse clicks, delay compensation or other graphic glitches. Are you using a 4K monitor by any chance? I know many users have had issues since Catalina with 4K monitors.

No issues with Clip FX EQ. I just mixed 12 hours straight yesterday on 2021.12. No bombs or weirdness.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Monterey 12.0 is a total disaster.
Hey JFreak, sorry to hear that it sounds like you are having a crisis with macOS 12.0.1 For my part, I was expecting issues, but its been amazingly productive. No issues at all.

Obviously many apps are not yet qualified for Monterey, but even then, I am remaining to be very productive. Best machine / OS update I have bought and used in years.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
Another vote for Big Sur. It has been the most stable OS for PT in quite some time.

+1
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 12-10-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeecee View Post
Hey JFreak, sorry to hear that it sounds like you are having a crisis with macOS 12.0.1 For my part, I was expecting issues, but its been amazingly productive. No issues at all.

Obviously many apps are not yet qualified for Monterey, but even then, I am remaining to be very productive. Best machine / OS update I have bought and used in years.
Yes, I can confirm it has severe memory leaks. I have heard the 12.1 release candidate recently released for developers should fix them, so fingers crossed.

Just sayin' that 12.0 is not something Avid could ever support, they need at least 12.1 out before there is even a chance of an Apple Silicon native PT software.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm it has severe memory leaks
Hmm, 12.0.1 appears to be well behaved here. No mem leaks. Perhaps macOS likes the aussie summer air?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I feel somewhat ripped off from this last year too. I have dealt with so many frustrating bugs with Big Sur and 2021.6 forward (so half the year). 2021.10 basically sent me on a week of troubleshooting to try to fix the bad driver that was released with it. This is the first time I have ever used Avid support to try to help me with the issue. They completely left me stranded and finally replied to my urgent questions 2 weeks later after I had already sent them the solutions I had discovered myself after 15+ hours of trouble shooting.

The Hybrid Engine was a neat feature to see added. So I am grateful for their work in that area. I was just hoping for so many more bug fixes in this update. Pro Tools is currently the buggiest it has ever been when running in Big Sur.
Yeah, I had an issue like that were it went to some silly "Saleforce" support minion or robot. Not like the old days. Then I finally got thru to someone via the DUC who was in senior management and they got someone to me to deal with the movie bounce issue. It was then handled. I ALSO never use support for anything, since I am usually the one helping others. It's just that I was in the middle of a large project and did not understand that movie bounce was a mess when I went to Catalina from Mojave. Basically I got caught in that.. All is well know and happy to stay on Catalina for a long as I can.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-10-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeecee View Post
Hmm, 12.0.1 appears to be well behaved here. No mem leaks. Perhaps macOS likes the aussie summer air?
Maybe. Winter temps here have been minus 20(ish) Celsius this week
Old 12-12-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, Monterey 12.0 is a total disaster. However developers got seeded 12.1 release candidate just recently, so I for one am hoping things are improving.
I've been working on monterey with my M1 Max since the update came out for 2021.12 and have had no memory leak issues, or anything. Also inexplicably, the avid complete bundle works for me...but ONLY when restoring from a time machine. Not a clean install (as we found out)

Are there other issues with monterey I am not aware of? I have complete stability on my end, of course I don't expect everyone to have the same results.

The only plugins I have no that don't work are Billy Decker Bus Glue. But that should be resolved fairly soon. I think.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:34 PM

Not PT-specific but, my MOTU Ultralite AVB kept disconnecting on 12.0.1 (with M1), and OWC USB-C hub wasn't recognised at all. There are some serious USB issues with this release.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Not PT-specific but, my MOTU Ultralite AVB kept disconnecting on 12.0.1 (with M1), and OWC USB-C hub wasn't recognised at all. There are some serious USB issues with this release.
Make sure you dont have any old drivers hanging out or kext's around. I had to delete a bunch of old stuff for my apogee ensemble 2 to show up properly