Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Default Re: ⚠️ Monterey Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well, let's see.

Historically, since PT went to the year.month version numbering, there have been on average five updates per year. So far 2021 has only seen four. There may be 2021.12 coming, but of course, that is just an assumption.

There has been a 2018.12 and 2019.12 and 2020.12 so why not 2021.12 (just a rhetorical question)

Well, I have it on good authority, that it's early 2022. That is what was said to me. There is just a lot for them to do and they are doing a LOT with Atmos I hear at the moment. So that's good news. Let's see what happens. Things of course tend to change.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-06-2021, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Well, I have it on good authority, that it's early 2022. That is what was said to me.
Never trust anyone who tells anything about release dates as those who know cannot talk and those who talk cannot know. However; in this case it would make perfect sense to postpone release so long as the next release would supposedly be Apple Silicon native.

We shall see soon enough, right
Old 11-06-2021, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Monterey Compatibility

It's easier to run Pro Tools on an M1Pro than it is to run Big Sur on an M1Pro.

Always best to hold off for a machine that makes money. Unless of course that machine is a current shipping model and there are no other OSes available. At the day gig I'm commissioning several Mac Minis all intel because of such issues (and 4 rack mount Mac Pros, humblebrag... ). Over the last 25 years or so if we've learned anything it's that for supported compatibility you're going to be at least a software version behind if not a couple of point releases. That's the price of poker with Pro Tools.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well, let's see.

Historically, since PT went to the year.month version numbering, there have been on average five updates per year. So far 2021 has only seen four. There may be 2021.12 coming, but of course, that is just an assumption.

There has been a 2018.12 and 2019.12 and 2020.12 so why not 2021.12 (just a rhetorical question)
Typically these updates coincided with making PT compatible with the most recent macOS, no? :) also considering iLok is supposedly going to be ready in December, I guess we’ll see!
Old 03-04-2022, 12:26 AM

And now we are in the third month of 2022 - still not supported.......what are we paying for?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-DK View Post
And now we are in the third month of 2022 - still not supported.......what are we paying for?
We are paying salaries for the people at the top of the pyramid that are like 100 times what we make ourselves, which works fine since we are many and they are a few.

Phone +46707773443
Old 03-04-2022, 02:31 PM

First off - it goes without saying that compared to what’s happening in Ukraine, any complaints here feel ridiculous and insensitive. Our coders likely have more pressing concerns.

MacOS though is kinda nuts. At the moment, it is impossible for me to run the latest versions of both Cubase and Pro Tools on the same mac. My current version is 10.14 - so just upgrade, right? Wrong. The only OS that is supported by both is Big Sur. And although Apple says you can upgrade to older OSs… well, try it. I follow their instructions, but always get the same “this version is not available” message. It is only possible for me to upgrade to the newest version of Monterey.

How did we get here where some devs (Steinberg) drop an OS 2 years old or more, while Avid don’t support a new OS sometimes for a whole year?

In short - grrr. A trivial grrr given the state of the world, but a grrr nonetheless.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-04-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
My current version is 10.14 - so just upgrade, right? Wrong. The only OS that is supported by both is Big Sur. And although Apple says you can upgrade to older OSs… well, try it. I follow their instructions, but always get the same “this version is not available” message. It is only possible for me to upgrade to the newest version of Monterey.
That's true with a standard online upgrade. But you can install any other version of macOS that your mac is compatible with, in recent years that means; the os version that was current when the mac model was released, or later. It's a question of downloading the installer from the app store and creating a USB installer that you boot from to install. Lots of guides online.

I last did it with the mini in my signature 2 weeks ago; it came new with Monterey installed, but is now downgraded to Big Sur.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:02 PM

Default Monterey Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
And although Apple says you can upgrade to older OSs… well, try it. I follow their instructions, but always get the same “this version is not available” message. It is only possible for me to upgrade to the newest version of Monterey.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211683

Whilst I preferred the way they did it years ago where you could download combo updates directly from their website, the above link works and redirects to the App Store and gives you access to the macOS you require.

I’ve done it MANY times. It’s very straightforward. Are you sure your machine is able to run Big Sur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 03-05-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
That's true with a standard online upgrade. But you can install any other version of macOS that your mac is compatible with, in recent years that means; the os version that was current when the mac model was released, or later. It's a question of downloading the installer from the app store and creating a USB installer that you boot from to install. Lots of guides online.

I last did it with the mini in my signature 2 weeks ago; it came new with Monterey installed, but is now downgraded to Big Sur.
Well I've followed a whole bunch of articles online, and for me it's failed every time.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM