Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-17-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Adding Accel Card to HD3 -Questions

At the moment I have a HD3 system running on a 733 G4 with 1.5g of ram.
I want to add 1 Accel card to this system.
What exactly am I going to have to do as far as software and plugins?
What kind of track counts am I going to see? Will just 1 Accel card give me the big jump?
Is this system now comparable to an HD5?
How will the plugins allocate themselves?
Will they use the Accel card then move to the Process cards?
Are they compatable between the cards?
Is anyone running a system of Accel and Process cards and how is it going?
Sorry for so many questions
Thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Adding Accel Card to HD3 -Questions

The basic answer is that by adding the extra card you will get up to 192 voices at 48K. One accel card is very loosely twice as powerful as a process card, but it depends what you are doing. In some cases (mixer engines for instance) it is even better than that. Plug ins need to be updated for accel. Once they are updated, then the system will automatically move them around freely between the cards. The exception is things like "impact" which will only work on an accel card.

It all seems to work very well.

JW
Old 11-17-2003, 04:49 PM

Thanks for responding. So are you running a system with both cards? My main concern and I dont really see it addressed much on this board, is that by adding the card to get more power, I dont lose power because the plugins dont run on both cards. If I read you correct, they do run on both and allocate accordingly. Thanks

Old 11-17-2003, 06:54 PM

Just remember, once you put an Accel card in your system, you have to boot into OSX and use Pro Tools 6.x. You will no longer be able to use 5.3.1 in OS9.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 PM

Thats cool, I've been on PT6 for a while now without any real problems.
My big concern is what plugins are ready for Accel. It looks like no Auto Tune, no GML EQ, no Sound Blender, etc.
So when I put this card in, none of these plugins will work. Correct? Its not that they wont load onto the Accel card, but because the Accel card is in the system they wont work at all on the old cards.
Where is the master list of what is ready for Accel. I cant seem to find it on the site at all.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:26 PM

Hi!
I am a Win OS girl, so I cannot say what happens exactly on Mac os...

I currently have HD Core, HD Accel and HD Original Process.

192 voices is great for that extra care-free attitude toward track/voice use
Currently, all the plug-ins I have except Waves have been optimized for Accel.
As I load plug-ins during a session, say I use up all the Accel DSP and have orig process and core dsp open somehow, but want to use, say, Impact, which is Accel only. Session halts for a second or 2, reallocation occurs, and walla! Impact inserted, and DSP is reallocated perfectly. I dont see this as being bad in any way, since HD reallocates during a session with large numbers of plugins as they are added and DSP resources start to dwindle.

Plug-in DSP sharing is great here. I have 3rd party plugs happily sharing chips with Digi and other 3rd party. Only exception to that is Aphex, whose plugs dont like to share with anyone. The extra dsp is quite nice! Two ReverbOnes on a chip, etc.
Hopefully Waves will jump onboard for PC as they have for Mac already, and hopefully as well as the other 3rd party guys have done.

Like I said, PC (Win XP), so I dont know how similar Mac is. Happy enough so far that I am impatiently waiting for a second Accel card now HD4 Hybrid, here I come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:43 PM

I've got 1 accel card added to my HD3 Mac system. Plugs like Auto Tune, GML and others will run fine on this system, just not on the Accel card. This is working out fine for me so far, although I'm waiting till a few more plugs are ported to Accel before I get my second card(hopefully before the Dec 20th deadline).

As far as digi's Accel plug in list, go to the digi home page and click on "developers" and follow the links from there.

Hope this answers your questions.

Jamie

Quote:
Thats cool, I've been on PT6 for a while now without any real problems.
My big concern is what plugins are ready for Accel. It looks like no Auto Tune, no GML EQ, no Sound Blender, etc.
So when I put this card in, none of these plugins will work. Correct? Its not that they wont load onto the Accel card, but because the Accel card is in the system they wont work at all on the old cards.
Where is the master list of what is ready for Accel. I cant seem to find it on the site at all.