Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-03-2004, 06:20 AM

Default Changes to the Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Please excuse the cross-post...I only do this occasionally.

Just wanted to tell everyone about a few changes/improvements to my Protools Plugin Preset Co-op site, and would also like to make those who've never checked it out aware of it.

I finally got around to getting rid of the 'platform' field (Windows/Mac) and the 'plugin type' field (TDM/RTAS/AS), as they served no purpose and only caused confusion. When I first designed the site, I mistakenly thought preset files weren't compatible between platforms and plugin types. I've since found that they are. Preset files are generally recognized as long as the file name ends with '.tfx'.

More importantly, I've made some additions that radically simplify the preset upload process. The upload form now has an option to automatically add the .tfx extension to the file on the server after it's been uploaded (if it doesn't already have it). In addition, there is an option to substitute an underscore character for any special characters (or characters that could cause problems with the download page) in the uploaded file name.

This means that it's generally no longer necessary to make a renamed copy of your preset files before uploading it...just click the button to the right of the 'File to Upload' field, browse to your Plugin Settings folder, select the preset, and click both of these new options. Voila!

Hopefully these simplifications will encourage more folks to upload presets. I really never have time to try and 'plug' the site or anything. It's been a bit slow, but there's some great stuff there. One of the most active members (George Ware) has uploaded tons of great stuff in recent months (thanks man!).

Rest assured that, regardless of how much or little it gets used, the site will exist at least as long as I do . I've always viewed it as a small payback for all the invaluable help I've received from the intenet DAW community here and elsewhere.

Here's a link directly to the download page:

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-...p/download.cgi

...and here's a link to the FAQ page, which I've just updated to reflect all these new changes:

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-bin/coop/faq.cgi

Enjoy!!

Tom
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Changes to the Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Thanks for keeping us ( and the site) up to date. I, for one, appreciate what you are doing.

--joe
Old 07-03-2004, 11:12 PM

Hey, I like the site, two questions, what are hqx files, and how do I use them?

Second, could you maybe figure out a way that I could download all the presets for a specific plug? Especially as there are more presets now, it would help if I could just pull all the presets rather than having to click each one individually.
Thanks
-Olaf
Old 07-03-2004, 11:25 PM

HQX files are BinHexed files.. if you have MacDrive5 installed you can right click to unstuff them... otherwise use Stuffit for Windows (Free Expander from Aladdin)

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-04-2004, 07:34 AM

Thanks for answering that one for me Rail.

I have a section on that under 'Downloading' in my FAQ. To get the extracted Mac preset to be recognized on a Windows system you will probably have to rename it so it has a .tfx extension.

Tom
Old 07-04-2004, 08:01 AM

Nice improvement. For a guy like me learning his way around some of these plug-ins, presets give a good starting point.

Kudos & thanks for the resource.!

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 AM

you think maybe we could do without the compression on 25k files? I mean, who cares? is it really saving you that much bandwidth or something? As for me personally, I have about three thousand programs installed on this computer, and I'm just not installing another one for some presets. All the rest are cool, though.
Also, you may wish to have a VST section for those using FXVST plug. Unless you already do...
-Olaf
Old 07-04-2004, 10:51 AM

That was never because of size. The only way Mac presets could retain the Mac resource fork (that indicated it's file type etc) when uploaded to the web was to compress them into one of those compressed file types. This was how I originally recommended that Mac users upload presets.

Since I discovered that naming the presets with a .tfx extention and uploading as-is works, that is how I recommend uploading presets.

The compressed ones are mostly all older.

Tom
Old 07-04-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
<snip>
Second, could you maybe figure out a way that I could download all the presets for a specific plug? Especially as there are more presets now, it would help if I could just pull all the presets rather than having to click each one individually.
Thanks
-Olaf
I really don't see any way I could do that. Since I can't force your browser to download multiple files at once, it would require packing all the presets into an archive file of some sort...but that would have to change every time a file was added.

Tom
Old 07-05-2004, 04:32 PM

You couldn't set is so that I could download a whole folder? Say all the C4 presets? Then it would just write over old ones and add new ones?

(THis coming from a guy who knows like nothing about databases and Sequels and all that fancyweb stuff.)
-Olaf