Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Default Avid Driver Replacer requires Reboot Each time!

Please help! I have an MBox 3 (regular) and PT 10.3.5 with MBox Driver 1.0.22 on a Windows 7 machine.

Pro Tools and the MBox 3 work fine, however, every time I reboot or cold start, I get two boxes on my desktop telling me that I must restart to apply changes, and the Title bar of the message says Avid Driver Replacer.

Searching the forums, I found one thread pertaining to this issue which recommends reinstalling the driver using "As Administrator", which I have done several times but I am still getting these message boxes! Has anyone from Avid seen this problem yet? How do I correct the problem?

I have unplugged the device while performing the uninstall/install and plugging back in AFTER the reboot is done, however once I plug the MBOX 3 device in the message reappears!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Avid Driver Replacer requires Reboot Each time!

I believe when switching usb ports windows will try to automatically install the drivers for the device, so keeping the mbox on one port should solve this issue.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 AM

guatamas, thank you for the reply... I do keep it on one port, so that is not a problem... it was fine for a while, then I uninstalled some old programs and the messages started appearing. Repairing the installation does not do anything!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM

I'm going to pass this along to get some insight on this. Stay tune.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM

@Emcha_audio,

Thank you. Further info is that I have uninstalled/rebooted and reinstalled several times but it still shows the message box to Restart to apply the changes.

FYI the MBOX and PT10 are working. It just gets annoying having the message box come up on restart! It does seems to slow down my computer quite a bit until the message appears.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Would be nice if any one else have experienced this issue to post in this thread this way maybe we can help a few at a time.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM

Just thought I would let you know that I again uninstalled the driver, rebooted, reinstalled the driver (all while the MBOX3 was unplugged), then plugged in the device to the USB. Windows showed a message that the drivers were installed successfully.

The same message came up after a few minutes, telling me to reboot to apply the changes. I did, and the message box came back twice, and it shows two times every time I reboot.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM

2 questions for you: Is this computer connected to the internet all the time?
Have you disabled the power management feature on all USB ports?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 questions for you: Is this computer connected to the internet all the time?
Have you disabled the power management feature on all USB ports?
albee1952, yes, the computer is always connected to the internet behind a firewall of course. As far as power management, the only option in effect is turning off the monitor after 10 minutes idle... everything else is not configured or allowed to continue.

I was not having this issue until I upgraded from PT9 to PT10. I already had been using the 1.0.22 driver with PT9...
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Regardless of the firewall, I would run a suite of anti-virus and anti-malware programs(avast, spybot-search&destroy, and Malwarebyte's anti malware). To the best of my knowledge, no firewall is impervious, and any PC becomes a target within minutes of having a connection. AFter running those programs, feel free to disable or remove them(assuming the system is clean).

Then, go to Device Manager or Power settings and institute all the required system tweaks, including the USB power management feature. troubleshooting takes time and perseverance, and getting the obvious stuff out of the way is part of that process. And you might try disabling the internet connection and the firewall as part of troubleshooting. I would also post a Sandra report at this point as it might help(and couldn't hurt).
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave