Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-25-2003, 03:28 AM

Default HELP! HELP! HELP!

Greetings to all. I've got a big freakin' problem...
First off, the specs: G4 Quicksilver 733, 896 megs of ram, Apple Studio 15 inch monitor(flat panel), Digi 001, Mackie 824 monitors, PT 5 32tr beta, OS 9.2.2.
Last week I purchased a 40 gig Seagate Barracuda to replace the IBM system drive in the computer. (I also have a 60 gig Barracuda that I use for a dedicated audio drive.) I also purchased a ATI Radeon 9000 Mac edition to replace the Geforce2 mx because I want to run dual independent displays (extended desktop, to be exact). For this, I also bought a KDS Rad 5 flat panel.
Everything else in the computer - every other app, and every system feature - seems to be just fine after the new stuff was installed.
Yesterday I fired up PT for the first time since the upgrades, and now there is no input or output (except for a buzz) and no phantom power is getting to the 001 interface. The 001 unit is receiving power from the computer because the green led is on, but when I hit the phantom power button the red led doesn't light up very much. (Its extremely faint - the lights have to be off in the room before you can even see it) As for the input/output thing, I tried the monitor outs, the main outs, and the headphones. Incidentally, the buzz is only evident in the Mackies, which are hooked up to the monitor outs. I ran the Digitest and everything passed. Does this only test the PCI card? The first thing that I did after discovering the problem, was to disconnect the second monitor and put the old video card back in. (just so you know, I never had any problems with it) I disabled the ATI extensions and re-enabled the Nvidia extensions and it didn't change a thing... Not that it should have anyway.
I removed the 001 pci card and examined it for cold solder joints, broken pieces, cracks in the board, and any abnormalities with the connector itself, but everything looks fine. The cable also looks fine, and I tried re-attaching it (I even tried attaching it in reverse, because thats the only suggestion that I could find when I searched the DUC) but that didn't help either. I tried trashing all the prefs, and deleting the I/O setup and rebuiling it, and I even re-installed the software from the CD (regular old 5.1.1), but nothing has helped. For the first couple of days, I thought that it had to be the cable. I have unplugged it several times during the course of installing the new drive and video card, so I figure that I might have maybe f*cked it up. But today I tested all the pins (they're more like tabs, really) with a multimeter,and the continuity was fine. It doesn't sit at a weird angle or anything, and I don't see how the stress on it could be all that great, so I'm baffled. The 001 interface has been sitting in a rack (untouched) for months, so I REALLY don't think its broken.
At this point, all I can think to do is buy another cable (from somewhere, I can't seem to find them on this website) and see if that fixes the problem. I'd hate to spend the money and have that not be the problem.
Does anyone know of a way to test the entire 001 system? Has this happened to anyone else? Are the Cleveland Indians going to be able to compete this year?!? (Um, sorry - I'm extremely frustrated right now.)
I tried using various extension sets and got no results. I tried voodoo and that didn't work. And no, the monitor mode button is not pressed in. (I tried it both ways...) I also installed the 10.2.4 update the other day, and a ATI update that popped up in OS 9 when I turned the computer on yesterday morning. But I don't see how those actions could be the problem, because I'm not using OS X and all the ATI extensions are disabled.
Why would I be getting power, but no phantom power and no I/O? All I can pray for now is that it turns out to be a simple idiot mistake, and I'm a big, fat idiot for not seeing it. But unfortunately, I don't think thats the case.
Help a brother out. Please.
No really, help...

P.S. - I tried using other programs like Peak 3.2 and Recycle via ASIO/direct connect, and they couldn't output sound through the 001 either. But they didn't seem to have a problem recognizing the hardware. crack smokin hooker
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-25-2003, 04:16 AM

Default Re: HELP! HELP! HELP!

Hey, you think you have problems? I have a roof open and its raining hard outside Needless to say I am wet. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just throwing out a guess this early in the AM...have you tried the card in a different slot?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 02-25-2003, 04:20 PM

Default Re: HELP! HELP! HELP!

No, because I assumed that if the card passed the Digitest, that it and the the slot must be O.K.
Can't hurt to try, though.... crack smokin hooker
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey