Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 01:57 PM

Default Upgrade path from Pro Tools LE + Complete Toolkit

I recently started working with audio again after a ~8 year hiatus. I started with an mbox and "avid pro tools" and upgraded to a digi002r+command8 with pro tools LE 7.3 with DV Toolkit. I had upgrade to PT9 and DV toolkit to complete production toolkit through regular means and while I was in college I eventually ended up upgrading to an educational license for PT10/11/12. Doing so made me surrender my Pro Tools LE 9 license and now my iLok only shows PT academic LE 11, but 12 still runs with it.

I have seen on the FAQs where CPTK is able to be upgraded/reinstated to Pro Tools|Ultimate perpetual. I presently don't see a "get current" offer on the avid my products page and wasn't sure if I was eligible. The only upgrades I have done that surrendered license before were with purchases made directly through avid, however this specific reinstatement requires using 3rd party resellers. I wasn't sure if someone else had been through a similar scenario or if an Avid rep could confirm specifics to prevent me from potentially purchasing the wrong package. I appreciate any insight/help with this.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Upgrade path from Pro Tools LE + Complete Toolkit

I have no idea if any of those very old CPTK promo upgrades are still available or if you would qualify, but why would you want to upgrade to Ultimate and have to pay more per year in support/updates when you essentially get (all or most of... you can check the details) the CPTK and some DV features as part of Pro Tools Studio now.

You planning on using HDX?, DigiLink IO? But yes (just noticed your user name) if you are doing film/video post then you are going to want Ultimate. ... are you?

If you really want this, call up a sales rep at a place like Vintage King and see if they can help, fastest way to likely get to talk to somebody.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Currently I'm just getting back into the swing of things, so I know ultimate will be overkill initially. I was looking at jumping onto the ultimate perpetual license because as you mentioned I'm not sure if my license configuration is eligible anymore. In the past the multiple video tracks were useful and I would almost rather pay slightly more and maintain a perpetual license with the fully unlocked feature set. I personally would prefer to hold onto perpetual licenses as long as possible as I am not too fond of subscription software models and I wasn't sure if once I go to Pro Tools Studio if there would be any similar upgrade path later.

The support post I found at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ls-HD-Upgrades was from 2020 but states that PT 9/10/11+CPTK are allowed as long as resellers have inventory otherwise a crossgrade would be available for Ultimate. My assumption is that this policy still holds true, but I'd hate to be wrong and end up with that 500 dollar mistake.

Last edited by filmsoundmike; 07-26-2022 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added last sentence for clarity
Old 07-26-2022, 04:09 PM

This question would be best answered by a good dealer, so I would call sweetwater. And I would buy from a dealer and NOT directly from Avid as a good dealer is going to be better at after-sale support. My best guess: an upgrade for LE is probably a pipe dream, given how many years its been(but its a guess). On a good note; Pro Tools Studio is likely to "feel like" Ultimate for how many features are now part of that version(which used to only exist in the upper HD level back in the Toolkit days). If you do music and not much video, I think you'll be quite happy with Studio. If you work solo, you might be fine with Artist if 32 audio tracks is enough Your old 002r and Command8 may still work as well(though I would replace the 002 ASAP as almost anything made today will sound better)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2022, 07:55 PM

I would talk to Avid support. The upgrades I remember were for CPTK not DV Toolkit but it's been a long time.

If it was that long ago that DV Toolkit was current, it might not be registered to your Avid account. Is it still a license on your iLok? You might need their help to sort out your Avid account first before you could do an upgrade (if available)