Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Re: What features are coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I'm happy with what they brought us with 12. Took some system cleaning to get it working well but 12.7.1 has been solid.

All the stuff people have requested would help but I can work with this tool. I have 9 months to see them come up with something I will want to keep going with. The pressure is on them and they know it.

I wish them the best as I do prefer their product.

C
Hi Carl, are you doing much MIDI/VI work, or mostly audio.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Agree with your first sentence, and I agree that we're getting regular updates. For me, there hasn't been anything of significant value in them, however (Wow! Loops!). In other words - they're not telling us in advance about what's coming up, because it's relatively trivial. And by trivial, I don't mean a small feature, I mean a trivial one.
We both agree - updates are indeed regular and consistent, although what's inside them is sometimes up for debate (for instance, I don't consider the unlocking of HD functionalities particularly earth-shattering in terms of "adding new features to Pro Tools"...)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM

I'd like to see a feature that would allow me to assign multiple outputs and then switch between them with 1-click. I know people like to use Aux Sends for headphone mixes... I don't.

When I'm tracking I send audio, to up to 8 channels, to my Hearback headphone units so everyone mixes their own headphone mix as they see fit. Then when the artists come in the control room, I want to turn off all headphone sends and send my outputs to my main studio monitors. Then do the reverse when they go back in to track through headphones again.

Let's say I have drum track outputs buss-ed to a drum buss, etc. It's a pain-in-the-ass to go through tracks each time I want to switch back and forth from headphones and monitors and do it on multiple tracks and also the master fader. This new feature could be called something like "output grouping"

I'd also like to see this applied to plugins. I know you can mute or active/deactivate plugins in groups by shift clicking etc. but this is cumbersome and not great because often times I want to deactivate only certain plugins not needed for tracking to cut down on latency. Call it something like "plugin grouping"

Am I crazy or this a great idea? Anyone care?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Pro Tools didn't pioneer most of the features in DAWs, in fact it's lagging behind in many areas. That's Avid marketing talking. For example, floating point audio was introduced in a multi-track DAW in 1997 and just came to Pro Tools a few years back. And on and on...
I don't know whose marketing you must be quoting but floating point was introduced by Samplitude in 1995. It isn't a feature other than not requiring a DSP card which reduced cost but didn't particularly add functionality. Almost everything else such as freeze-track was just a work-around intended to achieve what Pro Tools was already able to do several years earlier using DSP cards.

I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of Pro Tools however it really is the industry standard simply by virtue of having been first at a price under $100,000.00. The marketing has always been pretty bad and it achieved that status totally in spite of marketing.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM

I knew it was around 1995, thanks for correcting me. But IMO floating point added functionality. Years of gain staging discussions existed initially almost exclusively because of PT's fixed point audio. Later, of course, analog emulation plugins also made gain staging an issue. It's a moot point, I could go on and on about all of the other features (object/item clips, FX chains, on and on) that existed in other DAWs before PT, and in the message you responded to I gave you a quick but lengthy list of major features that one DAW has that still don't exist in PT.

Bob, I have tremendous respect for your career and your talents. But it's hard to give credibility when you write things like PT has led the way in all major DAW innovations. It was, indeed, the first to integrate HW and SW into a viable platform, and as you said, for that they became the industry standard. But the software has been more utilitarian than innovative from the beginning, and has now fallen behind a list of other products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I don't know whose marketing you must be quoting but floating point was introduced by Samplitude in 1995. It isn't a feature other than not requiring a DSP card which reduced cost but didn't particularly add functionality. Almost everything else such as freeze-track was just a work-around intended to achieve what Pro Tools was already able to do several years earlier using DSP cards.

I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of Pro Tools however it really is the industry standard simply by virtue of having been first at a price under $100,000.00. The marketing has always been pretty bad and it achieved that status totally in spite of marketing.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I'd like to see a feature that would allow me to assign multiple outputs and then switch between them with 1-click. I know people like to use Aux Sends for headphone mixes... I don't.

When I'm tracking I send audio, to up to 8 channels, to my Hearback headphone units so everyone mixes their own headphone mix as they see fit. Then when the artists come in the control room, I want to turn off all headphone sends and send my outputs to my main studio monitors. Then do the reverse when they go back in to track through headphones again.

Let's say I have drum track outputs buss-ed to a drum buss, etc. It's a pain-in-the-ass to go through tracks each time I want to switch back and forth from headphones and monitors and do it on multiple tracks and also the master fader. This new feature could be called something like "output grouping"

I'd also like to see this applied to plugins. I know you can mute or active/deactivate plugins in groups by shift clicking etc. but this is cumbersome and not great because often times I want to deactivate only certain plugins not needed for tracking to cut down on latency. Call it something like "plugin grouping"

holding control while selecting output bus gives you option to select another output.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
holding control while selecting output bus gives you option to select another output.
Thanks yes, I've always found this feature frustrating as it puts a + symbol on the output and is difficult/non-intuitive to use. Anyone else feel this way?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 03-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Hi Carl, are you doing much MIDI/VI work, or mostly audio.
I run sd2 for drums with outputs to single channels. I usually have piano. organ and a few strings and horns going with a synth or two.

Edit: Most of the folks I know that compose for film use Logic.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.

Last edited by Carl Lie; 03-17-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post

That could be a very useful feature in some situations.

What I'm struggling to understand though, is why wouldn't you set up the requisite food groups on Pre-Fade sends (set at unity), routed permanently to the aforementioned 8 hardware outputs - that way the performers can still set their own mixes, exactly as you currently have it, but you don't have keep re-routing everything between takes, and it doesn't screw with your mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
That could be a very useful feature in some situations.

What I'm struggling to understand though, is why wouldn't you set up the requisite food groups on Pre-Fade sends (set at unity), routed permanently to the aforementioned 8 hardware outputs - that way the performers can still set their own mixes, exactly as you currently have it, but you don't have keep re-routing everything between takes, and it doesn't screw with your mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent question. Mostly because, in my scenario, I want to shut off/mute headphones entirely. I realize I could do this on sends by Ctrl-clicking across the send to Mute them all at once but I find this cumbersome as I'm never really confident I've muted them all. I have no need whatsoever to control levels/pan etc. to their headphones as they are doing this themselves with their own individual mixers (yes I realize I could just set them at unity). There are times where I want them to hear a plugin while tracking, a great example is Waves Renaissance Vox which is a fantastic tool while tracking vocals I've found. It's much easier/better to let artists control their own levels while tracking, especially when they can turn up/down a click track, for example, to their own liking. In essence, I just want easier to use controls so I can just toggle one-button when I'm working.