Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Did I made a mistake in purchase of Computer for PT12?

Okay all....Just bought PT 12 (not installed yet)

I needed a solution so I upped my budget to 2k....Finally decided to go MAC after advice on this forum.

So I went to buy this from Best Buy:

Apple - 27" iMac® with Retina 5K display - Intel Core i5 (3.2GHz) - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Silver
Model: MK462LL/ASKU: 7815096
Mac OS X
Technical details: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor; 27" display; 8GB memory; 1TB hard drive (7200 RPM)
Special features: Built-in wireless networking; wireless keyboard and mouse; webcam
Note: DVD/CD drive not included

The Best Buy guy talked me into this with the FUSION hard drive. Said I was making a mistake NOT buying it. I said I "think" I read it is not a good idea...Looked online at the store and found nothing to support my position. Of course I found all sorts of threads here when I got home AFTER my purchase saying FUSIONS don't work....ugh

I walked out with this....

Apple - 27" iMac® with Retina 5K display - Intel Core i5 (3.2GHz) - 8GB Memory - 1TB Fusion Drive - Silver
Model: MK472LL/ASKU: 4260700
Mac OS X
Technical details: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor; 27" display; 8GB memory; 1TB Fusion Drive
Special features: Built-in wireless networking; wireless keyboard and mouse; webcam

DID I MESS UP???? I should not use FUSION drives correct?

These are my 2 choices to exchange my purchase....I AM THINKING THIS IS MY BEST OPTION

Apple - MacBook® Pro - 15.4" Display - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 256GB Flash Storage (Does the 7200 RPM rule apply here?)
OS X Yosemite
Technical details: Intel® Core™ i7 processor; 15.4" display; 16GB memory; 256GB flash storage
Special features: Bluetooth; backlit keyboard; HDMI output

Or my original purchase plan???

I did notice the MAC BOOK PRO I am considering also runs Yosemite ans NOT El Capitan, which the iMACS run, which I have seen has issues. The MACBOOK PRO is i7 AND 16 GB's......I THINK from all I have read here this is what I need?

Last edited by SteveAlton; 03-02-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Did I made a mistake in purchase of Computer for PT12?

lesson learn, don't buy or listen from a Best Buy employee when purchasing anything audio.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAlton View Post
Okay all....Just bought PT 12 (not installed yet)

I needed a solution so I upped my budget to 2k....Finally decided to go MAC after advice on this forum.

So I went to buy this from Best Buy:

Apple - 27" iMac® with Retina 5K display - Intel Core i5 (3.2GHz) - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Silver
Model: MK462LL/ASKU: 7815096
Mac OS X
Technical details: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor; 27" display; 8GB memory; 1TB hard drive (7200 RPM)

The Best Buy guy talked me into this with the FUSION hard drive. Said I was making a mistake NOT buying it. I said I "think" I read it is not a good idea...Looked online at the store and found nothing to support my position. Of course I found all sorts of threads here when I got home AFTER my purchase saying FUSIONS don't work....ugh

I walked out with this....

Apple - 27" iMac® with Retina 5K display - Intel Core i5 (3.2GHz) - 8GB Memory - 1TB Fusion Drive - Silver
Model: MK472LL/ASKU: 4260700
Mac OS X
Technical details: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor; 27" display; 8GB memory; 1TB Fusion Drive

DID I MESS UP???? I should not use FUSION drives correct?

If not, these are my 2 choices to exchange my purchase....

Apple - MacBook® Pro - 15.4" Display - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 256GB Flash Storage (Does the 7200 RPM rule apply here?)
OS X Yosemite
Technical details: Intel® Core™ i7 processor; 15.4" display; 16GB memory; 256GB flash storage
Special features: Bluetooth; backlit keyboard; HDMI output

Or my original purchase plan???
While others will reply with a better opinion, I think your first purchase is a decent starting point for a office/work/multimedia computer. It's a good overall but bear in mind that Pro Tools is a resource heavy program. With that being said a few questions you would need to answer are:

1. What do you do now, if anything with Pro Tools?
2. Do you plan on running virtual Instruments?
3. Mix large sessions?
4. Work with video?
5. Which OS X version are you running? 10.11.x? I am going to take a wild guess and say El Capitan 10.11

It's true that fusion drives are not ideal for use with Pro Tools but it's not the end of the world. The 7200 RPM drive you were originally going to go with would have been just as good (if not better).

Comparing both the iMac and MacBook Pro, I'd say the MacBook Pro packs a punch in terms of the hardware requirements to run Pro Tools and gets you to the closest specs needed to run Pro Tools efficiently .

To be clear "Flash" storage is another term for "Solid State Drive" (RPM do not apply to Flash storage drives)

Do you care if you end up with a desktop or laptop? If not, the MacBook Pro is a better option (Especially with Yosemite installed)

El Capitan seems to be a buggy OS right now. A lot of users are complaining of GUI glitches etc...
Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
don't buy or listen from a Best Buy employee when purchasing anything audio.
True.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAlton View Post
256GB flash storage
You'll also need a second and/or third drive for sessions, audio loops etc.

256 is a small size for a system drive. Consider purchasing a larger drive in the near future.

More than likely it will be an mSata drive and not a standard 2.5" drive as mSata is what is now in the more recent Macs
Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
Comparing both the iMac and MacBook Pro, I'd say the MacBook Pro packs a punch in terms of the hardware requirements to run Pro Tools and gets you to the closest specs needed to run Pro Tools efficiently .

Do you care if you end up with a desktop or laptop? If not, the MacBook Pro is a better option (Especially with Yosemite installed)
FYI....I have NOT opened up my Computer Box yet and will be returning to Best Buy in the morning....

I think you spelled it out pretty clearly here for me. Being a newbie and having an "unopened" Pro Tools 12 that arrived today, I need efficient, and I need a system up and running. I don't need an OS that is glitchy. Or a FUSION drive that has 10,000 complaints. It will frustrate me.

At first I fell in love with the large screen of the iMac, but it seems to be behind in power to the MAC PRO. I can deal with a 15" laptop no problem. Plus I guess I can HDMI it if I NEED a larger screen....

I am a Singer/Songwriter first, and I want my system up and running so I will be able to create great music without worrying about glitches.

You actually make a pretty good case for me to go with the MAC BOOK PRO....

All your posts have helped me through this process Guatmas.....Thanks

Last edited by SteveAlton; 03-02-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:54 AM

You should also consider the Apple refurb Store… save a few $'s & you could pick up an older Mac, that's as good as new (with full Apple warranty). I've bought several over the years, & never had an issue with any of them.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/hom...ls/mac/imac/27

General buying advice… i7 is better than i5, Quad Core is better than Dual Core, Flash HD is better than Fusion (or spinner), & really 16GB Ram is the ideal minimum for PT use.

Whether you choose to go desktop or laptop is up to you, although you may need to factor in another external display if you intend to go the Macbook Pro route. Depends exactly how mobile you'd like to be - whether you'd like to do location recording & collaborate with other musicians, or use the Macbook for other tasks. One thing to consider is that Macbook Pros run hot when running intensive Apps like Pro Tools (especially the i7's), so they're not as whisper quiet as you might imagine (due to fan noise). This could also impact on the lifespan of a Macbook Pro...

Over here in the UK there's also a few good companies who'll build you a decent (used) Mac Pro to your own specs : http://create.pro/configure

Maybe someone has some recommendations for a similar US based company?

Everyone has a budget to stick to, but general advice is get a machine that will at least fulfil your expectations, & last a few years.

Hope it helps…
Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 AM

i would choose the laptop, because it has i7 CPU (and the flash drive is wicked fast)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:12 AM

The specs you Need are:

CPU - i7
RAM - 16GB
OS Drive - 256 is minimum and up
A secondary drive to record to which needs to be a 7200rpm or better like a SSD drive inside a USB3 case or Thunderbold case.

These options are non negotionable for running Pro Tools 12 and even though others "run" on less doesn't mean you will be able to. Thats a real hit n miss so if you are gonna spend on a new computer make sure that the basics are there from the start.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The specs you Need are:

CPU - i7
RAM - 16GB
OS Drive - 256 is minimum and up
A secondary drive to record to which needs to be a 7200rpm or better like a SSD drive inside a USB3 case or Thunderbold case.

These options are non negotionable for running Pro Tools 12 and even though others "run" on less doesn't mean you will be able to. Thats a real hit n miss so if you are gonna spend on a new computer make sure that the basics are there from the start.
THE MAC BOOK PRO above fits all those....

CPU - i7 (CHECK)
RAM - 16GB (CHECK)
OS Drive - 256 is minimum and up (CHECK)
A secondary drive to record to which needs to be a 7200rpm or better like a SSD drive inside a USB3 case or Thunderbold case. (CHECK-WILL PURCHASE)

Thanks

Last edited by SteveAlton; 03-03-2016 at 07:55 AM.