Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Question is it possible to open a project that was done on a mac on a p.c. with pro tools??

just was wondering if anyone knew how to load a project from a cd that was done on a mac with protools onto a p.c. with protools?i recently bought my protools rig cause my band never got the luxary of endless mixing and editing time cause studio prices add up quick and we wanted to record drums in the studio and finish everything else on our own!is this possible with pro tools cause this was my whole reasoning for the purchase!!thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Re: is it possible to open a project that was done on a mac on a p.c. with pro tools?

Depending on the version of Pro Tools(yours, AND the version that was used to create the sessions0 it may be as simple as copying the session folder to your audio drive and opening it. For older versions(pre-PT7), there was a check box to enforce Mac-PC compatibility. if that was NOT checked, you need to either take the sessions to someone with a Mac and open/re-save with compatibility, OR hope that all the audio files were consolidated so you can just import the audio to a new, blank session on your PC. Now if the audio was saved in SD-II format, it will need conversion(google for a file converter) or, do the Mac re-save routine and convert the files to aiff or wave(preferred).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Re: is it possible to open a project that was done on a mac on a p.c. with pro tools?

Remember when you install pro tools into windows you are also able to install "Mac HFS+ Disk Support Option".

Not sure if that would help your specific need as such, but essentially it allows windows to recognise a Mac HFS+ formatted drive and allows you to read and write to such a drive using pro tools in windows. Very handy indeed
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 AM

cool thank you very much for your help!im new to all this and it can be very confusing!thanks again!!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Default opening mac file on pc?

Is it possible to open a 8.0 file in 6.7 0r 6.9?? my pc has 8.0 and my macs are runining 6.7 & 6.9....
Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Re: opening mac file on pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuDeMuZiK View Post
Is it possible to open a 8.0 file in 6.7 0r 6.9?? my pc has 8.0 and my macs are runining 6.7 & 6.9....
U need to save a session as 5-6.9 in version 8 in order for that to work...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM

ok lets say all my work is on a external drive i take the 8.0 file and save as 5-6.9 without having to open file? ok ill try that. do i need to do anything besides that? dont need to open any files for this to be possible?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM

Exclamation Re: is it possible to open a project that was done on a mac on a p.c. with pro tools?

Ok tried to save as and did not work. ok here is thee question: How do you save a file done on 8.0 to be able to work on 6.9??? I tried to save as 5-6.9 but didnt work out can anyone help me with steps in procedure?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuDeMuZiK View Post
Ok tried to save as and did not work. ok here is thee question: How do you save a file done on 8.0 to be able to work on 6.9??? I tried to save as 5-6.9 but didnt work out can anyone help me with steps in procedure?
What do you mean by "didn't work out?"

Did PT8 refuse to save the project as a legacy format, or did it save... but the projects refused to open in 6.9?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Exclamation How do you Re-save 8.0 file to open in 6.9?????

How do you Re-save 8.0 file to open in 6.9?????