Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Re: What to expect from an M1 native Pro Tools

ARM (M1) is great architecture, we used it in 90's on Nokia Mobile Phones. It has evolved a lot since. Without the arrogant attitude of Nokia management in early 2000's maybe I would still be there. Left the sinking boat just when it was still great (2003). Leaving a well paid dayjob and concentrating on your hobby (music) has a tremendous effect on your wellbeing though. Wasn't easy I can tell you that.

Anyway this Apple Silicon thing is nothing new, ARM has been around since mid 80's or something.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:21 PM

Expect a very, very, very long wait.

It's pretty pathetic. I mean Digital Performer, Logic, Reaper, and FL Studio are all M1 Native DAWs available right now.

Pro Tools will limp along for years. So far the video engine seems to be the Achilles heel as that's still struggling to get fully ported over from the 32 to 64-bit change (and disabled completely on M1's under rosetta 2).

It's gonna be a real mess when Apple surprises us by dropping Rosetta support in whatever OS follows Monterey (like they did with Rosetta 1). But until that day, I expect we'll be using Pro Tools over Rosetta for as long as Avid can get away with it.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 PM

In defense of Avid developers (I can't believe I'm saying this). Apple started to change product line like dippers, every year a new iphone or Mac comes to the market. Big Sur doesn't even have a year out and they want to change it to Monterrey (MacOS 12).
Old 08-15-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
Expect a very, very, very long wait.
Yes, see my post #6 what happened last time. It was the 2009 model Mac Pro that was the one to get after the transition started, so three years. If we are one year done and still only have "consumer" grade options with 16GB maximum memory, that timeline may be quite accurate this time too.

This time it is both easier and more difficult at the same time. Easier in a way that it has been done already, but more difficult because everyone is still in the previous transition of going full 64bit everywhere. We can only hope that the process of dropping legacy 32bit code was well underway already and native builds are coming soon. Because the longer Avid waits, the longer it takes for plugin vendors to drop their updates.

Expect 2021 nd 2022 be "a nightmare" if you have M1.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
In defense of Avid developers (I can't believe I'm saying this). Apple started to change product line like dippers, every year a new iphone or Mac comes to the market. Big Sur doesn't even have a year out and they want to change it to Monterrey (MacOS 12).

Yearly macOS updates been the norm for virtually every release since X onwards. There was probably only 2 or 3 releases that were 2 years apart.

I agree that it must be tough for AVID to stay up to date with the old code base in PT, but it’s nothing new. Good or bad, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yearly macOS updates been the norm for virtually every release since X onwards. There was probably only 2 or 3 releases that were 2 years apart.

I agree that it must be tough for AVID to stay up to date with the old code base in PT, but it’s nothing new. Good or bad, it is what it is.
Yearly upgrades are not bad per se, but recently the updates have been huge. While High Sierra gave us APFS, Mojave gave us Metal, Catalina made everything 64bit only and Big Sur made the system partition read only, Monterey (the one coming next) should be smaller upgrade compared to the previous four but still introduces more privacy enhancements and it is unlikely Avid releases a native Apple Silicon version of PT that supports Big Sur.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:39 AM

well, i am waiting for the clip bin upgrade , and then will update my entire rig, and PT, and LOCK IT OFF, for another 15 years.....
Old 08-15-2021, 09:05 PM

The clip bin upgrade, is my fantasy world, where I can get folders and arrangments/colorizing , and sorting like an amazing tool, designed by me, for the 5000 to 7000 clips I have in a really busy series....
Old 08-16-2021, 05:07 PM

Default What to expect from an M1 native Pro Tools

Did someone say transporter. There was always something wrong with the transporter. It’s another way to say beam me up Scotty. The problem is, you can’t tell where you’ll wind up, and you’re not supposed to get in the way of the natives lifestyle. Otherwise known as the prime directive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk