Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-12-2022, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio for Bass & Guitars - Questions

Render or Print/Record your finished track to another track. Now it's a normal audio track. Send that track to the mixer. Now you will never have to worry.
Big Sur 11.7.4, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native, 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46ghz 12 core, 128GB RAM, Radeon RX 580, 970 Evo M.2, 860 Evo, and Angelbird SSD drives. All PT optimizations followed to the letter.

Ventura 13.2.1, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, M2 Pro Mac mini, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Just checked and I have transient sensitivity on mine. That screenshot is not the full plugin.

The discussion is about Elastic Audio’s X-Form option.

You’re talking about the Audiosuite plugin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2022, 01:19 AM

Not that I want to get all preachy on a Sunday morning, but "Trust your ears" is one of those maxims that sounds profound but means nothing if you haven't trained your ears in the first place. I must have remixed thousands of tracks in my time, a job only made necessary because the original mixes submitted were made by from artists/engineers who presumably were "trusting their ears" but didn't really know what they were listening out for. (I'm not complaining, it's a living.)
Old 11-14-2022, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Very good info thank you. The bass parts I laid down are really pretty simple and straightforward. I really don’t hear anything ‘wrong’ with the EA editing result. Things appear nice and tightly aligned to grid.

As far as artifacts I don’t really hear anything, but admittedly somewhat new to this, so unsure of what to look out for. Would it be pretty obvious to my ear if there was warbling or strange editing glitches in the edited tracks?
Keep an ear open for the 'bass warbling'. I'd be surprised if you haven't heard it at some point. Look for a long note with many markers and you will likely hear the stretch marks with the push and pull of retiming the bass notes. Check this in solo for the bass, rather than ensemble with the drums. If you are unsure, delete all the EA markers and compare the sound. Then be sure to undo or you'll have to start again. Sometimes things are so messed up that it is actually best to start again! Anyhow, once you hear it you will hate it. The bass warbles from EA Pro Tools are as ugly as hearing a click for an amateur edit in a major label release.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-14-2022, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Not that I want to get all preachy on a Sunday morning, but "Trust your ears" is one of those maxims that sounds profound but means nothing if you haven't trained your ears in the first place. I must have remixed thousands of tracks in my time, a job only made necessary because the original mixes submitted were made by from artists/engineers who presumably were "trusting their ears" but didn't really know what they were listening out for. (I'm not complaining, it's a living.)
I agree with what you're saying, but surely the warbling in the processed bass would be clear for all to hear. We are talking a solo track and not a full mix with plenty of complexity. However, I have avoided elastic audio ever since first trying it.

Last edited by thin ice; 11-15-2022 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but surely the warbling in the processed bass would be clear for all to hear. We are talking a solo track and not a full mix with plenty of complexity. However, I did have avoided elastic audio ever since first trying it.
EA is a necessary evil of modern music production like the click track and the grid for timing or tuning. More power to those that have time and money to burn getting the feel good takes on tape with the classic sound.

Bass warbling is like the tuned vocal. Once you have heard it you have been enlightened💡Super human artists that can stay perfectly in time and in tune. Welcome to the music industry...

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-14-2022, 08:42 AM

EA Bass warble is prominent on this track in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkblLhs0-4

Insane how no one seemed to care. It's seriously bad on every single sustained bass note.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-14-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Keep an ear open for the 'bass warbling'. I'd be surprised if you haven't heard it at some point. Look for a long note with many markers and you will likely hear the stretch marks with the push and pull of retiming the bass notes. Check this in solo for the bass, rather than ensemble with the drums. If you are unsure, delete all the EA markers and compare the sound. Then be sure to undo or you'll have to start again. Sometimes things are so messed up that it is actually best to start again! Anyhow, once you hear it you will hate it. The bass warbles from EA Pro Tools are as ugly as hearing a click for an amateur edit in a major label release.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen, I did actually hear bass warbling here and there while editing, but in those instances I just deleted the extra markers and it went away. Even when quantizing, I’ve been going back to manually push and pull notes as needed, making sure everything sounds ok along the way.

I was just wondering about anything more subtle to be looking out for, but it sounds like any EA weirdness would be obvious to the ear.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2022, 07:09 PM

A better way to do it, or at least what yields much better sonic quality, is what's referred to as pocketing. It's more time consuming but worth it in my opinion. It involves manually editing say a bass track when it gets too far off the grid and adjusting the new clip to the grid. If there's a gap between clips then switch the trim tool to TCE and stretch the last bass note to fill in the gaps. You just need a little overlap for multiple TCE clips so that when you're done you can do a batch crossfade for the entire track. I find that the Waves Sound Shifter set in preferences works best. If you do get warble, you could try switching to one of the Avid TCE processors. This way you still have a mostly unprocessed bass track and the notes that are stretched still sound good.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-15-2022, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
EA Bass warble is prominent on this track in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkblLhs0-4

Insane how no one seemed to care. It's seriously bad on every single sustained bass note.
It will probably become part of the genre and others will spend time trying to replicate the bass warble.