Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Mixing Window, AutoMatch Indicator, can't change track volume....

I don't know how this indicator turned on, I've done research on it and looked it up in the Pro Tools Help menu, but nothing explains why the AutoMatch Indicator turns on or how to turn it off.

If anyone has some more information on this contact me ASAP because this has happened several times, where I have to restart a new session because a couple tracks will revert to the volume the AutoMatch Indicator was activated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip_20180321160229.jpg (80.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Mixing Window, AutoMatch Indicator, can't change track volume....

It's always "on." It's just an indicator for what you've done -- it doesn't do anything but tell you that things don't match.

It means you have volume automation on the track that differs from where your current fader is. Either delete the volume automation from the track or put the automation on the track from "read"/"auto read" to "off".
Old 10-13-2022, 08:56 AM

I had this exact same problem. For some odd reason, the volume fader on a particular track seemed to have a mind of it's own and get stuck on a certain volume level. When I would turn it up, it would pull itself back down and when it turned it down, it would pull itself back up. Even when I clicked "all" I was able to turn all tracks down but this one. I didn't do anything manually to change the volume level of this track so I had no idea why it started acting this way.

Ultimately, I clicked onto [audio volume] and then grabbed the audio line and moved it up and down randomly. Then I put it back to position "0". Strangely enough, that stopped it from wacking out on me and I haven't had anymore trouble with it.

Perhaps that will work for you as well.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVaschon View Post
I had this exact same problem. For some odd reason, the volume fader on a particular track seemed to have a mind of it's own and get stuck on a certain volume level. When I would turn it up, it would pull itself back down and when it turned it down, it would pull itself back up. Even when I clicked "all" I was able to turn all tracks down but this one. I didn't do anything manually to change the volume level of this track so I had no idea why it started acting this way.

Ultimately, I clicked onto [audio volume] and then grabbed the audio line and moved it up and down randomly. Then I put it back to position "0". Strangely enough, that stopped it from wacking out on me and I haven't had anymore trouble with it.

This is called automation and is written data on the track. Depending on the Automation Mode you are in, the fader will act differently. My suggestion is you do some reading on the different types of automation and modes offered in Pro Tools or watch some tutorials on volume automation
Old 08-23-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVaschon View Post

I am having the same issue. I might have a track with some simple automation written, let's just say a few volume increases and decreases, but as soon as I launch the session the arrow down AutoMatch is stuck on and the fade is out of position all the way down. In other words the session does not load with the volume fader in the correct position on a track that might have a simple volume automation applied to it. The arrow down light is on and does not change when the animation is supposed to, as the track progresses once play is activated. I can make the automation inactive and that doesn't help. I might move the fader and expect the fader to return to the correct position, but that doesn't help. The volume fade is just stuck, or returns to the bottom position as soon as I let go of the fader. I'm not in the process of writing animation, and none of the animation settings appear out of place. In fact, any animation I do is typically with a mouse, just drawing an increase or decrease as needed, with as few inflection points as needed. And this didn't just start happening. I've been plagued with this issue for years, through many version updates. Usually restarting Protools clears out the few tracks that might be affected with this AutoMatch ghost in the machine. I've recently found that the arrows were called AutoMatch and now have the small Automation window open and to the side. By hitting SUSPEND and the reactivating, the highlighted AutoMatch arrows disappear and my faders all function as expected. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm trying to figure out if the name AutoMatch would give me a clue as to what is going on - what is being matched? Can anyone offer some advice or help?
Old 08-23-2023, 07:14 AM

Read post #2 and check what automation mode your track is in.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
This is called automation and is written data on the track. Depending on the Automation Mode you are in, the fader will act differently. My suggestion is you do some reading on the different types of automation and modes offered in Pro Tools or watch some tutorials on volume automation
It's may be automation, but it is not functioning correctly. I open a session and the fader is now locked in the down far down position, but if I restart Protools the same fader maybe "free" but another is locked down? No, something is not functioning correctly.