Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2022, 01:18 PM

Default Subscription ending soon - Pro Tools | Carbon

Hi I am getting the following messages on my account but i'm not sure where i stand on this. Can anyone explain my position please?

Subscription ending soon - Pro Tools | Carbon - Update

Upgrade and Support contract is ending soon - Pro Tools | Carbon - Update
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub up.jpg (37.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2022, 08:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: Subscription ending soon - Pro Tools | Carbon

So Carbon comes with a Pro Tools Studio "perpetual parachute" license.

It is basically a subscription that flips to a perpetual license when it expires.

However, when it flips to a Perpetual, you do loose some of the goodies as well, such as the included Avid plugs, Heat, software upgrades, and support.

However, you can hop back onto Subscription at any time, but I shamelessly hope you will consider renewing the subscription to take advantage of the above items.

More info in the FAQ below.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...FAQ/Carbon-FAQ

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 AM

Thanks Mark
Do I need to buy both the 'Upgrades & support contract' and 'Pro Tools Carbon' subscriptions?

Also I like the look of the the new Avid MBOX Studio as it is Windows compatible and has reamping facilities built in which would be more suitable for my workflow.

Is the conversion quality as good as the carbon?
Does it come with a copy of Pro Tools Artist?
If I sell my carbon does the perpetual parachute get transferred to the new owner?

Kind Regards
Andrew Wickett
Old 11-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Avid

Hey Andrew

No, you do not have to purchase both, just the Pro Tools | Carbon Pro Tools Studio upgrade. It's a "special" perpetual parachute subscription, so make sure you get the correct one.

Part Number 9938-31063-00 Pro Tools | Carbon ™PT Software Renewal

If you sell your Carbon, you will need to do a Transfer of Ownership with Avid. If you do so, we will transfer the Carbon and associated PT software to the new owner.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...S/FAQ/en363631

Old 11-08-2022, 04:56 PM

If you choose not to renew the subscription do you loose access to all of avid's plugins?
Old 11-09-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey Andrew

No, you do not have to purchase both, just the Pro Tools | Carbon Pro Tools Studio upgrade. It's a "special" perpetual parachute subscription, so make sure you get the correct one.

Part Number 9938-31063-00 Pro Tools | Carbon ™PT Software Renewal

If you sell your Carbon, you will need to do a Transfer of Ownership with Avid. If you do so, we will transfer the Carbon and associated PT software to the new owner.

Hey Mark, are you guys trying to make it especially hard to renew a Carbon License or what!? There is no mention of it anywhere on the Avid site and Google comes up with one link. The B&H website. Nothing on other reseller sites and nothing on Avid's site. What's the big secret!?
Old 11-10-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Andrew

I have a question about this. Most of the Carbon-specific software-plan situations seem explained in the FAQ, but what about...

Say... you have PT Ultimate Perpetual (for ages now due to your HD* system) and are on a current Updates & Support plan. You buy Carbon and choose the "Add a year to your Update/Support Plan" option. You proceed as you have, using Carbon as your main interfaces and occasionally plugging your iLok (with license) into your old system to recall an old session that has unsupported plug-ins. In 5-7 years, you decide to sell your Carbon and move on to whatever is the new shiny (let's say from Avid, but maybe not). When you sell your Carbon, does the software license for it transfer a (perpetual, but dated) PT Studio license to the buyer, or have you managed to forfeit your PT Ultimate license (that you've had for ages pre-Carbon) by these actions?

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-12-2022, 08:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Hey Mark, are you guys trying to make it especially hard to renew a Carbon License or what!? There is no mention of it anywhere on the Avid site and Google comes up with one link. The B&H website. Nothing on other reseller sites and nothing on Avid's site. What's the big secret!?
Yup! Intentionally making it difficult

It's a long and inglorious history with this particular license since it is neither just a subscription or just a perpetual.

That's not an excuse for it not being simpler... it should be.

I'll work on it...

m

Old 11-12-2022, 08:50 AM
Avid

Hey Kerry

The Pro Tools license that comes with Carbon will always stay with the Carbon hardware. So if you do a transfer of ownership on the Carbon, the PT license will go with it.

Since Carbon is built to leverage Pro Tools, it is important that anyone who has a Carbon also gets a PT license.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Hey Kerry

The Pro Tools license that comes with Carbon will always stay with the Carbon hardware. So if you do a transfer of ownership on the Carbon, the PT license will go with it.

Since Carbon is built to leverage Pro Tools, it is important that anyone who has a Carbon also gets a PT license.
Hi Mark. That makes sense and I had assumed it. I was asking about if you'd already had a PT Ultimate license (with active Upgrades & Support Plan) and what would happen to that license if you didn't use the PT Studio license that comes with Carbon, but opted to follow the outlined path in the attached graphic (from the Carbon FAQ)? If you sold the Carbon after 5-7 years for whatever the new thing is, would you be forfeiting your original Ultimate License (on Upgrades & Support) because you made the choice to extend it with the Carbon purchase?

In other words, if you go that route, does the Carbon then "own" your existing license? Or does it exist separately, but Avid has decided "We know you have PT already, so we're giving you an extra year on your existing license since you don't need the one that comes with Carbon - and we value our loyal customers." ? I had assumed the latter, but your comment to the poster mulling selling his Carbon for an MBox Studio made me look into the FAQ and documentation, and realized it was not clearly spelled out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 9.13.25 AM.jpg (61.2 KB, 0 views)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro