Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Unhappy No sound previews from Xpand!2

New user. Cannot get any sound previews from Xpand2. I have watched numerous videos and demos and do the exact same thing they're doing but get nothing. I'm thinking that it is a setting that needs to be adjusted. Can anyone help me.

Auto Input Monitoring (In the Track menu) is activated. And, yes, I have record enabled the track(s).

Sound monitoring works on everything else.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Re: No sound previews from Xpand!2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdog View Post
New user. Cannot get any sound previews from Xpand2.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "sound previews" could you please be a little more specific?

Quote:
I have watched numerous videos and demos and do the exact same thing they're doing but get nothing.
It's hard for us to tell you where you are going wrong when we don't really know where you are going. "do the exact same thing" is pretty vague.
Can you tell us exactly what you have done and what you are trying to do?

Are you using a MIDI controller? If so which one? And is it connected correctly?

Here's the basics to getting XPand2 working.
  • new session
  • create stereo instrument track
  • insert XPand2
At this point, if your midi controller is connected, setup and working correctly (including making sure it is setup as an input device and that MIDI Thru is on), and if you have the Default Thru Instrument set for "first selected MIDI track", you should be able to play your controller and hear sound from XPand2.

When you're ready to record the MIDI that triggers it, record arm the track, and record.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM

spkguitar:

Thanks for the information. To clarify. If I set up a new session, create a stereo instrument track and insert Xpand 2 into the track....when Xpand!2 opens and I select a loop or sound from the library and I record enable the track, there is.....no sound. There is also no indication on the Vu meter on the Xpand2 interface (displayed on the screen) that the Xpand2 selection is even playing.

My interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, just purchased. Driver is installed. Not clear on exactly where I can confirm that it is setup as an input device nor where the Default Thru Instrument setting is. I do have Midi Thru selected.

Any additional information you can provide to direct me to the above settings would be most appreciated. Thank you so much for your input.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
spkguitar:

Thanks for the information. To clarify. If I set up a new session, create a stereo instrument track and insert Xpand 2 into the track....when Xpand!2 opens and I select a loop or sound from the library and I record enable the track, there is.....no sound. There is also no indication on the Vu meter on the Xpand2 interface (displayed on the screen) that the Xpand2 selection is even playing.

My interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, just purchased. Driver is installed. Not clear on exactly where I can confirm that it is setup as an input device nor where the Default Thru Instrument setting is. I do have Midi Thru selected.

Any additional information you can provide to direct me to the above settings would be most appreciated. Thank you so much for your input.
Do you have a MIDI trigger device, like a keyboard? Are you drawing notes on the instrument track?

Sounds won't just play when you select them. You either have to write the notes, or play them on something.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM

I have an M-Audio Oxygen49 MIDI controller. I am more concerned with adding drum loops into tracks. If I play keys on the controller I only get a particular component of the loop i.e. bass drum, hi-hat, etc. In videos I have seen, the loop plays as soon as it is selected without any keyboard "trigger". Also, in the Pro Tools 101 book, it indicates that once you have selected a loop from Xpand2, it will appear in the Regions list on the edit screen (sometimes it does and sometimes not). At that point you can click and drag the loop to the track. I have actually done that once but have been unable to duplicate whatever it was that I did.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM

OK!! I have figured this out thanks to your help. I didn't have a clue that in order to hear a drum loop sample I had to hold down a key on the MIDI controller. I did that and recorded it into the track. It worked!!!! Many thanks for your help.