Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Jittery, stuttery playback

What can I do to stop the stuttering Quicktime picture, jumpy cursor, and super slow mac responce of my 8 track, mild plugin session.

Thank you,
spc

G4 450, OS X 10.2.4, PT's v 6.0.1, Quicktime 6.0.1, 768 ram, separate Vid & aud firewire drives, playing movie through DV output, etc ...
Old 04-06-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Jittery, stuttery playback

In your movie track of your session, set the view of your QT movie as "blocks" rather than frames. This frees up your system from having to re-draw frames. Thus your PT session should play back fine without stutters, slow response, and mouse freakazoids!

Also, set your QT playback to normal or medium.

Finally, it's best if you export a copy of your QT movie with half the size of your original (QT Pro can do this), WITHOUT SORENSAN (spelling?) COMPRESSION!!! And then import/replace the original movie in your session with the smaller one. (((((Remember, a compressed movie may save you memory, but it'll have more load on your CPU for "decoding" the compressed movie during playback.))))) Once your done editing/mixing your session, then you can re-import the original movie into the session and bounce to movie.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:25 AM

Hi,

I'm already in the habit of using blocks and not frames. I do have it on normal playback. I have to check the quciktime movie export and compression. I made that 2 years ago.

Thanks for you tips! I'm really worried beacause I would love to play 24 plus track with plugins and a quicktime movie (10 minutes long) but it doesn't seem like even a remote possibility at this rate!!!!!!

Take care,
SPC
Old 04-07-2003, 07:53 AM

A single processor G4 450 with OS X and PT6 will be unforgivingly slow... espcially with QT movie playback. If I were you and wanted to run 24 tracks of audio along with a QT movie, I'd just go back to OS 9.2.2 and PT5.2.1 - I used to be able to do that on my 466 biege G3 just fine (in OS 9.2.2)
Old 04-07-2003, 08:30 AM

I hear you but there just has to be an OS X answer here. Digi techs are you here?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:38 AM

The normal/medium playback of your QT is found under MOVIE menu in PT.

Also, try placing your QT movie on a separate drive. I always find improved performance when playing back audio and movie files on separate drives while operating in PT.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:21 AM

Got cha Cell,

I already mentioned that I use seperate audio and video drives when I first asked the question. Also I have already set the playback to normal and have tried medium as well ....... but thanks for the tips anyway!

Folks can we talk about fine tuning the settings such as
-amount of memory for PTs, DAE buffer, etc ...
-H/W Buffer size settings
-CPU usage setting
I'm looking to tweek this thing to optimize for the smoothest playback (especially that I work with Quicktime a lot).

If none of this works are we saying I have to go to a "SCREAMING LOUD 1.25 DUAL MAC"??? Come on Digi, help me out here. I need at least 24 tracks with EQ's, Comps, and simple Aux usage for verbs and delays.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:37 PM

Hello,

Any adjustments of settings to optimize this situation?
New loud G4, TDM system, anything?

Come on folks ... I'm counting on you!