Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2003, 10:43 AM

Default New Allenstein system.... Radeon 7500 causes system to lock up..

I used another video card to install windows because the ATI Radeon 7500 was causing the computer to crash during install.

So now that I have XP working I tried to reinstall the Radeon 7500 video card... and... well... when I reboot, it crashes and the screen goes black right after the windows screen comes up, then the monitor acts the same as if it was unplugged from the video card.

So I guess I need to install some new drivers. The question is, where do I get the drivers from? I have tried installing the AGP drivers from the Asus disc, also I tried installing the drivers from the ATI radeon disk.

Is this an ASUS issue, an ATI issue, or an Windows XP issue?

Also, I know the card works because I temporarily installed it on another machine and it works fine.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: New Allenstein system.... Radeon 7500 causes system to lock up..

I'd skip the disc and go to the mfr's websites for latest drivers. Sometimes the CD versions are obsolete.
Seems like I've read about other hangs and black screens with this setup here recently.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:19 PM

I noticed you saying that you got the drivers of the discs. When I get a product, I almost always go to the manufacturer's website & just download the latest one they have available. 9 times out of 10 it will be more recent than the one on the disc. Just a thought. You might be pleasantly surprised. I'd make sure that your XP is as up to date as possible first (any online updates, service packs, etc.), then I'd go to ATI.com & get the driver. (make sure if your card was made by ATI you go to the "built by ati" section. if your card simple just has an ati 7500 chip in it, go to the "powered by ati" section). Then lastly I would go to the asus siite since any updates may require you to flash your bios, and that's always a last resort, at least for me. hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:09 PM

Okay I f*cking give up. I am on the verge of complete insanity at this point. I have been screwing around with this damn thing since 8:00 this morning and I still can't get it to work.

I have tried downloading the latest drivers from the ATI website (using another computer). I burned them to a cd and loaded them into the allenstein machine. The files all extract to a folder on the C drive. Then when I go to open up the "setup" file and install the drivers, all it does is pop up a screen that says "install shield wizard". A progress bar pops up showing that something is happening, and it dissapears after a about one second. Then that's it. Nothing else happens. No driver install... nothing.

In order to keep downloading new drivers and installing them on the compter, I have to keep swapping out this old video card that I have in my Dell computer. I can't even turn on the Allenstein machine with the Radeon 7500 on it. If I try to boot with that card it keeps hanging up when the windows xp screen comes up. It shuts down and eventually tries to reboot... then repeats the same thing.. shut down, reboot, shut down, reboot... and so on. So I have to take this other video card and shove it in there just so I can get the pc to boot up and attempt to install the latest driver. Oh man this is driving me crazy!

I'd like to update to the latest XP drivers, but I can't because I don't have the allenstein computer hooked up to the internet. I don't have a network card in it.

I swear I am ready to throw this thing through a window. Has ANYONE had this problem and how did you fix it?
Old 03-08-2003, 07:37 PM

if you've already installed hydravision, uninstall it completely then try again.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:22 AM

Well, if the new machine boots and runs with a different video card, it seems reasonable that the Radeon may be DOA!

Have you tried the Radeon in the Dell?

If it doesn't work, well, that's it.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:43 AM

anyone???

Somebody has to have had this problem.. I am using the A7V333, ATI Radeon 7500, XP home, Athlon XP2400.

Did anyone else have any problems getting this video card to work?
Old 03-09-2003, 06:51 AM

actually, yes I did stick the Radeon in Dell and it worked fine. So the card is definately good.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:51 AM

It is a Radeon 7500 / WinXP issue.
Here are some guys that overcame the issue:

Allan!!

God bless you!

I was on the video.

I checked the manual on the ATI and it said to set the MB AGP mode to 1x before installing the AGP card driver for winXP if the MB was based on VIA chipset.

So I did and it worked!

You are supposed to be able to change it back to 4x after installing the driver, so next step is to try that.

Thanks a lot!

Juan.

WIN XP, RADEON 7500, A7V333 CONFLICT

I HOPE THIS DOES'T HAPPEN TO VERY MANY, AFTER BUILDING ALLEN MACHINE, I TRIED LOADING XP A FEW TIMES (10). WHEN IT CAME TO LOADING DEVICES VIDEO WENT BLANK, FINALLY CALLED MS SUPPORT, OF COURSE BECAUSE I'M THE MANUFACTURER NOT FREE. SO I WENT WITH THE $35 PER INCIDENT. AFTER ABOUT 5 HOURS ON PHONE TROUBLESHOOTING, LOADING AND NOT LOADING DRIVERS, ETC. XP FINALLY ON MACHINE. THE PROMISE (PRIOR POST) PROBLEM PROBABLY WAS CREATED BY THIS INSTALL. ANYWAY I DECIDED TO DO NEW FRESH INSTALL, NEW HARD DRIVE UNFORMATTED. SAME PROBLEM WITH RADEON 7500 DROPPING VIDEO, WHEN XP INSTALLING DEVICES. TRIED ATI WEB SITE AND FOUND INFO BASE ARTICLE "DEVICE DRIVER IS STUCK IN INFINITE LOOP" ERROR IN WINDOWS XP, THEY SUGGEST LATEST BIOS, ADEQUATE POWER SUPPLY, DISABLE OR ENABLE AGP FAST WRITE IN SYSTEM AND TEST, SET MEMORY SETTING LESS AGRESSIVELY. I SET AGP TO 1X, AND OF COURSE I HAVE LATEST BIOS (OR MACHINE WOULDN'T RUN AT SPEED 2 GIG) VIDEO STILL DUMPED. SOLUTION: I PUT IN AN OLD PCI VIDEO CARD, WINDOWS XP LOADED PERFECTLY, GOT DRIVERS FOR PROMISE OFF ASUS CD. . NEXT I WANTED TO INSTALL THAT RADEON S.O.B. I STARTED XP IN SAFE MODE (F8) AND INSTALLED SOFTWARE FROM RADEON CD. THEN INSTALLED THE CARD AND PRESTO IT (THE COMPUTER) WORKED. HOPEFULLY MY EXPERIENCE IS UNIQUE, AND NOT THE NORM. I INSTALLED PROBE, MAN THAT PROBE IS ONE BOSS ITEM. BY THE WAY, WHERE DOES THIS OTHER FAN GO? (THE ENERMAX) DOWNLOADING LE 5.3.1 NOW, HOPING FOR AN EASIER INSTALL W/DIGI STUFF.
AND THANKS ALLEN AND PHIL, AND OTHERS FOR PREVIOUS POSTS THE INFO WAS INVALUBLE.

--------------------
G.A.

If that doesn't help you then get a new card. ATI Radeon 9000+ or Matrox G450 have both worked well with this motherboard.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:23 AM

SIBERIAN

YOU HAVE XP RUNNING WITH THE OTHER VIDEO CARD, RIGHT! OK I KNOW HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. NOW KEEP THE OLD VIDEO CARD IN, START THE MACHINE, AFTER THE ASUS SCREEN HIT F8 FOR WINDOWS SAFE MODE. INSERT THE RADEON CD AND INSTALL THE STUFF (I CAN'T REMEMBER IF I WENT TO INSTALL NEW HARDWARE OR NOT). EXIT WINDOWS SAFE MODE, SHUT OFF MACHINE (ALL POWER) AND TAKE OUT THE OLD VIDEO CARD, PUT THE RADEON IN AND REBOOT. THIS WORKED FOR MINE.