Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Default quick way to A/B a session with reference track...

currently -for me to A/B a SESSION with a REFERENCE TRACK i have to do the following:

to hear ref-track:
> unmute the ref-track and solo it
then to hear the session:
> unsolo ref track and mute it
then to hear the ref-track again:
> unmute the ref track and solo it
etc

is there a way to press one button to switch back and forth between the session and ref-track ? -c
Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: quick way to A/B a session with reference track...

Quote:
currently -for me to A/B a SESSION with a REFERENCE TRACK i have to do the following:

to hear ref-track:
> unmute the ref-track and solo it then to hear the session:
> unsolo ref track and mute itthen to hear the ref-track again:
> unmute the ref track and solo itetc

is there a way to press one button to switch back and forth between the session and ref-track ? -c
Perhaps as a workaround this will help, depending on what you are doing:
Instead of using dynamic voice allocation, assign both the reference track & the Session track to the same pair of voices.

Now, whichever track is "left most" in your session in
the edit window will be the only one heard.

I'm not in front of my HD rig right now, but I've also got an idea that may help even more. I'll re-post in a few hours if it's 'one better'....

Best ;-)
Walt
Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Have all your session tracks routed to one AUX which outputs to your monitoring path. Set the output of the Reference track to the same monitor path as above. Now you can “solo” one or the other. (Make sure that your solo setup is non-latching.)

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 PM

What are you monitoring your mix through. If you have something with different sources, you can send the ref mix out an unused set of outputs and have those going to a different monitoring input, then switch back and forth on that.

If not then you can make a group with all that tracks except the reference track and solo (non-latching) between the two.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Duplicate the reference track. Then flip the phase on one off them. So..... When you press play the now 2 Ref. tracks cancel each other out and leave just you mix. Then simpily Solo one of the Ref. tracks to compare it to your mix. Remember that if you want to change the level of your Ref. track (as it will most likely be mastered) that you have to adjust both tracks so grouping them is the best for keeping things simple. Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 PM

I usually have all my topmost tracks routed to a stereo buss which feeds an aux assigned to output 1-2. When I'm ready to print, I route the aux to my print busses instead, and they go to a print track that feeds output 1-2. So if you have a reference mix on your print track, all you have to do to compare is toggle the input button on the print track.

STeve
Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 PM

I use a method where I duplicate the reference track, and invert the phase of the duplicate (AudioSuite menu > Other > Invert). All tracks in the session are routed to a stereo aux (PreMaster), including the reference track(s).

Normal playback - I hear all tracks except the reference track because the phase-inverted duplicate cancel it out.

Control+5 (numeric) - this is the shortcut to shuttle forward at normal speed. Hit spacebar to stop. Hit spacebar again for normal session playback. I can toggle between session and reference this way pretty easy.

To prepare for this method I simply click in the reference track with the selector tool where I want playback to start. Ctrl+5 (Mac) shuttles the reference, and spacebar starts session playback.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

The way I do this is to use VCA'S and unlatch the solo bus.
1. create a group and a VCA for the ref Track then assign the VCA to that group.
2. Create a group and a vca for the New Track (or tracks) the VCA to that group.
3 make sure that the solo pref is set not to latch. X-OR in the Solo Options

Then you need only select the solo on the VCA of the REF track or the main track to compare. Pressing one cancels the solo of the other. This does not require routing to AUX's and is simple to set up.

How much do we love VCA's?

hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Have all your session tracks routed to one AUX ( put some mastering plugs, L2007 etc on this) which outputs to your monitoring path. Set the output of the Reference track to the same monitor path as above. Then- move your ref track down the timeline past your song- write a marker on your ref track (verse- chorus) bring up the marker window (apple-5)
Click away.