How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-22-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Carbon and Windows 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Don't fight it - there's a new Yellow iMac in your future.............
As I understand the current M1 iMacs are entry level. I feel that would be a downgrade from my 14 core i9 computer with 32GB of ram.
Also I wonder what the new more powerfull Macs coming later this year would bring to the table that would beat out my current setup?
Old 04-23-2021, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
As I understand the current M1 iMacs are entry level. I feel that would be a downgrade from my 14 core i9 computer with 32GB of ram.
Also I wonder what the new more powerfull Macs coming later this year would bring to the table that would beat out my current setup?
I was just joking - I mean, you know that Avid won't say when or if they will support Windows, or if they will let you use AVB hubs, or if they will allow additional units to be chained, or if they will include remote pre-amp control, or anything else?

It just reminded me of when UA released LUNA - for Mac only. Someone started a thread called something like "where is LUNA for Windows?" and the UA rep started on some "we're doing YOU a favour by releasing LUNA early" etc, and the thread filled up with thousands of posts, all somehow expecting an imminent release. And over a year later, there's still no Windows version. The thread got nasty with someone threatening violence, and as far as I can tell, got deleted.....
So, you're right, your i9 machine is more powerful than a funny-coloured new iMac with no ports, but if you want to use Carbon now, you need a Mac and you might be waiting for a year or forever to get Windows support.
I wasn't being critical or serious, just mildly humorous...

Dominic
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 PM

No problem.

I had a imac several years ago but didn’t like the closed os design or the limited hardware upgradabillity. Besides i had alot of hardware issues with it wich took Apple support 4 months to fix! They ended up replacing the power supply, harddrive, motherboard and the screen.

Maby i was unlucky but it was a bad experince. So it was back to windows again after that.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
No problem.

I’m not holding my breath for Windows support.
I can live fine with my current Omni/Native system.

I had a imac several years ago but didn’t like the closed os design or the limited hardware upgradabillity. Besides i had alot of hardware issues with it wich took Apple support 4 months to fix! They ended up replacing the power supply, harddrive, motherboard and the screen.

Maby i was unlucky but it was a bad experince. So it was back to windows again after that.
What blows my mind even more with refusal to do windows support, even if Avid had to come out with their own avb card or actually include thunderbolt support. is that..

the m1 chip, can't even go above 16 gb of ram.. and no external gpu of any kind.

The gpu is less a problem for audio guys, but 16 gb of ram limitation and no sings (or rumors) of apple working on expanding the ram support for the next version of the cpu...

so Avid again, shooting themselves in the foot.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
What blows my mind even more with refusal to do windows support, even if Avid had to come out with their own avb card or actually include thunderbolt support. is that..
Hopefully it will be available some day.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:20 AM

Any update on this yet...?

about to move on to other products...
Old 06-16-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1234 View Post
Any update on this yet...?

about to move on to other products...
I haven't heard anything regarding this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-16-2021, 10:55 AM

this sucks as I want one...but clearly they don't want my money.

thx
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 AM

Understanding I am a Mac guy so take with a grain of salt ........I can imagine it is frustrating and hopefully Avid will figure out a fix as they say they are.

BUT on the other hand ,,,,, Objectively It is we ourselves not Avid ,, that make the choice to use either Mac or PC . So to some extent it seems this angst towards Avid is a bit misplaced,,,, does't Microsoft deserve just as much or more of this ire ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-18-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post

the m1 chip, can't even go above 16 gb of ram.. and no external gpu of any kind.

The gpu is less a problem for audio guys, but 16 gb of ram limitation and no sings (or rumors) of apple working on expanding the ram support for the next version of the cpu...

so Avid again, shooting themselves in the foot.
To clarify not currently having Windows support is NOT " refusal to do windows support" those are two entirely different concepts.

That said this statement and no sings (or rumors) of apple working on expanding the ram support for the next version of the cpu..." means ,,,,more RAM ,, then it seems they will be including more RAM

According to the this MacRumors article https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/24...e-of-new-macs/
The next-generation Apple silicon chip will also apparently support up to 64GB of memory, compared to the current maximum of 16GB. This would be in line with the current Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is available with up to 64GB of RAM.

For me If I had a PC but was definitely wanting to get a Carbon (unless my system was no longer working) I would simply wait. Because Avid could come up with something..... Or by the end of the year (the consensus rumor) Apple will bring out a new Mac mini with the upgraded M2 chip which could be a viable lesser priced alternative to either iMac or Macbook Pro ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-18-2021 at 06:43 AM.