Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2002, 05:02 PM

Default PROBLEMS DUPLICATING REGIONS

I'm running LE on a G4 and having dupliaction problems. Every time I duplicate in etiher bars and beats, or minutes and seconds modes, the regions wont snap to the bar. So eventually everything starts to go a bit out of time. I've tried using the grabber, bar and also tabbing the region. Nothing seems to make a difference. I have worked in bars and beats mode on a TDM system and just simply selected the region with the bar and dupicated 'til my hearts content... no problems whatsoever, but now?

This is very frustrating and is certainly stalling the writing process. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2002, 05:04 PM

Default Re: PROBLEMS DUPLICATING REGIONS

did you change the snap grid to 1 bar? It sound like your grid if set to something else. It is located in the top right hand corner of the edit screen.

citi
Old 04-17-2002, 05:05 PM

I assume you are in grid mode, right?

6am eternal
Old 04-17-2002, 05:11 PM

Yeah tried the one bar thing. No difference. and yes I'm in grid mode. I'm primarily working with programmed beats and loops etc. so snapping to a grid is crucial.

thanks.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:32 PM

Check out your PTLE manual p154, there's a paragraph about "Sample-Rounding and Edit Operations". This is what you are looking for.

6am eternal
Old 04-18-2002, 12:37 AM

Sorry when I said the Bar, I meant the Selector. I read page 154 but I always use the Selector to select a region before duplicating. This doesn't make a difference, it still wont snap to the bar.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Old 04-18-2002, 07:13 AM

Try the same thing using Repeat (apple+R), see if it works...
Old 04-18-2002, 07:52 AM

does your region that you are selecting start EXACTLY at the beginning of a bar and end EXACTLY at the end of a bar?

Duplicating regions (the way I experience it) takes the region you have selected and places a copy of it immediately after that region. If the original region does not end exactly at the bar, then the duplicated region won't start exactly at the bar. And the more duplications you make, the more drift away from the bar there will be.

Does that help any?

hyp0static
Old 04-18-2002, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If the original region does not end exactly at the bar, then the duplicated region won't start exactly at the bar. And the more duplications you make, the more drift away from the bar there will be.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is exactly the case. Makes for interesting midi editing as well. Like when you have a piano chord that "rolls" into the next bar. I found that you simply cannot copy and paste that bar to the next because the notes at the beginning are beyond beat one of that bar. I found the only way to do it is to drop the cursor onto beat one of the following measure while in grid mode, then switching to slip mode and shift clicking to the very beginning of the notes to highlight the bar. Then duplicate. It’s a lot of work! Unless you quantize the crap out of everything to make your take sound like a Casio Demo Song…

dk
Old 04-18-2002, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all your replys.

Yes the region starts and ends at the end of the bar. I can see this when I zoom in as far as possible using the magnifying glass.

So far the most successful is the repeat option. This seems to be solving the problem, although I still can't understand why I'm having trouble duplicating. Keen to hear more of your thoughts though.

Andrew