Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Figuring out PT 12HD Native issues

I just upgraded my Pro Tools system; rephrase, purchased my first "professional" PT setup. The last rig I used was a 2008 Mac Pro with 192s running PT10HD TDM, so for comparison sakes, thats what I'm coming from. I've read a lot of forums about current PT issues, but wanted to see if I boned myself getting this computer/IO setup that I thought/think would/will be super powerful for my needs or if the issues lie with compatibility between OS and PT.

I went PT12 HD Native Thunderbolt with a Late 2015 27" iMac 5k running El Capitan (4.0GHz Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive writing to an external) and my IO is an Apogee Symphony 8x8. My read/record drive is a USB 3.0 Lacie Porsche Portable thing. It doesn't say what its read/write speed is, couldn't find it anywhere, but figured if I got DAE errors, I'd look into something else. Super stoked to get everything up and running, got everything right around Christmas/New Years and I've been in "test the system" mode ever since.

___

First Issue - almost every time I boot up Tools (particularly from a fresh boot of the computer), I get slapped with an AAE -9172 or -9093 error within the first 2 minute of a session being opened. Then its pretty much gone after one or two attacks. Experienced in 12.3 AND 12.4.

Second Issue - Tracking. Currently, I'm mixing a track with <40 tracks and doing some writing projects that are mainly VIs (Kontakt, Massive, SSD) and Guitar rig tracks.

Mixing first, I had a handful of plugins on other tracks, running 64 buffer, dubbing e bass with one instance of SansAmp. It was rare if I got through an entire take without an AAE -9172. Trying to problem solve, I turn off all plugins, bump up to 128 buffer, and try loading the session into my RAM since 32GB should be plenty enough to tango. Still got AAE -9172. Errgghh. Restart the computer, boot up tools, one start up error, tried to track bass again, same thing. AAE -9172. One last ditch effort, I updated PT from 12.3 to 12.4 to see if that would help. Nope. Gave up. Just comped the takes the next day instead of getting a full take.

Comparing that bass overdub to my usual songwriting setup which is like 10-20 mono or stereo Guitar Rig tracks for fx and noodles, 20-60 mono layers of sample loops, SSD, NI VIs, Boom, and other plugs, I rarely get those AAE errors during tracking. What the...?

Third Issue - Weird meters, plugin lag, and plugin copy freakouts. My meters have been laggy in 12.3 and 12.4; both in plugins, and mixing/edit windows. It's possible I'm not used to the updated metering since PT10HD, but it can't possibly be this much of a difference. Super weird to use UAD/Slate/Native plugin compressors and the VU be super wonky.

The plugin copy issue is one I just discovered. Whenever I'm copying, lets say, a UAD SSL E Channel from one track to the next, the second I let go of the clicker, all audio stops but meters continue to see signal. Hit Spacebar to stop, Hit spacebar to play, all good.

___

My question; are these issues related to my computers configuration or potential lack of power, Pro Tools being unreliable and buggy, higher expectations with this compy build than I should have, or me being a moron and setting something up wrong? I've got another week or two where I could return this iMac and exchange with different specs if need be if that would theoretically solve my issues, but my hunch is issues between the OS and PT, not my particular hardware.

PS - this is a repost from a GS forum I started that should be posted here instead.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Figuring out PT 12HD Native issues

Two major issues right off the bat:

Fusion drive / Will be problematic as have been posted here many many times.

The Lacie 1TB Porsche P9220 drive is way too slow as it is a 5400rpm spinner and that will never work well with Pro Tools.

See this link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lacie-po...&skuId=3764793

And with both hard drives that have less than great specs the errors you have aren't going away.

You need to swap the fusion drive for an SSD and the Lacie for a 7200rpm or better like a USB3 SSD or Thunderbolt SSD.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Two major issues right off the bat:

Fusion drive / Will be problematic as have been posted here many many times.

The Lacie 1TB Porsche P9220 drive is way too slow as it is a 5400rpm spinner and that will never work well with Pro Tools.

See this link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lacie-po...&skuId=3764793

And with both hard drives that have less than great specs the errors you have aren't going away.

You need to swap the fusion drive for an SSD and the Lacie for a 7200rpm or better like a USB3 SSD or Thunderbolt SSD.
Just so I understand correctly, the hard drives can/are probably causing the AAE errors? I haven't seen DAE errors that I generally associated with the disk bus or disk running too slow. Forgive any of my misunderstandings in how PT operates/what the error codes are telling me.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:55 AM

If you haven't had issues you definitely will and i am pretty sure a few of those issues are due to your drives.

5400rpm as rec drive is death and combined with a fusion drive .. No Bueno!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohdude View Post
wanted to see if I boned myself
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohdude View Post
I went PT12 HD Native Thunderbolt with a Late 2015 27" iMac 5k running El Capitan (4.0GHz Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive writing to an external) and my IO is an Apogee Symphony 8x8. My read/record drive is a USB 3.0 Lacie Porsche Portable thing. It doesn't say what its read/write speed is, couldn't find it anywhere
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blac...25264550?mt=12
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Just got back from the Apple store. I'm one day out of the exchange/return window but they'll let me exchange it.

I did one more dummy test to make sure PT was doing this problem repeatedly and I didn't make it up. Launched a session, Boom, AAE -9093 in less than 90 seconds.

So I'm wiping the computer, taking it back, and ordering a new one with the same specs but WITH A SSD. Are you all surviving with a 256GB SSD boot drive? Or should I spend the extra 200 bones for the 512GB SSD.

Should I expect any issues with this new configuration that I can avoid? It'll still be El Capitan and can't be backwards installed to Yosemite; hopefully there will be no more hardware issues.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Well,

10.10 & PT12.4 not a good idea...

You can always install bootcamp & Windows7x64.

But PT12.4 no go.
12.3.1 works well, but needs a very powerful machine.

Usually...
PT12 needs 2x drives, as fast as possible.

PTHD12.3.1 can live with one SSD, at 6Gbps, "500MB/s."
And a very large Ram Cache, 20Gb ram ECC.

Don't know if iMac 5k has ECC.
PTHD Ram cache will work without ECC, but if memory fails 1bit, could loose all data.
If you work with video and audio, could loose sync...
Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
Well,

10.10 & PT12.4 not a good idea...

You can always install bootcamp & Windows7x64.

But PT12.4 no go.
12.3.1 works well, but needs a very powerful machine.

Usually...
PT12 needs 2x drives, and as fast as possible.

PTHD12.3.1 can live with one SSD, at 6Gbps, "500MB/s."
And a very large Ram Cache, 20Gb ram ECC.

Is a late 2015 27" iMac 5k 4.0 GHz Quad Core i7 with 32GB RAM, a 256 SSD boot drive, and another SSD/7200 RPM record/read drive enough juice to make PTHD Native 12.3.1 happy?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM

I would definitely go for the 500GB drive as 256GB eats up fast and for future use the 500GB will last longer.

Also larger drives are much better and have better performance in the long run, Remember a 256GB drive can only be used ip to say 200GB as 20-25% free space left is a must. A 500GB you can use almost 450GB of the total GB so for me a no brainer as long as its in your budget.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I would definitely go for the 500GB drive as 256GB eats up fast and for future use the 500GB will last longer.

Also larger drives are much better and have better performance in the long run, Remember a 256GB drive can only be used ip to say 200GB as 20-25% free space left is a must. A 500GB you can use almost 450GB of the total GB so for me a no brainer as long as its in your budget.
Yeah, the upgrade cost for the 512GB SSD was the reason I ended up with Fusion drive... that and not reading enough of the DUC .

Enough's enough, going with the 512GB for safety. $200 isn't going to kill me in this game. Hell, that is the audio game, how much money can I spend?? Am I right??

Also, sorry for any overuse of the emojis. Getting used to the forum lingo.