Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Default Used Eleven Rack

I am thinking of buying a used Eleven Rack. I already own PT9 and am currently running version 9.0.5. Is there any problems that I would run into by purchasing a used Eleven Rack? I am looking at one with the Expansion Pack already installed and the owner will sign over the transfer of ownership paperwork. I would think since I already own PT9 that I could purchase the used Eleven Rack and not have any issues at all since interfaces are no longer tied to PT, but thought I would check with you guys first. I was curious if the Expansion Pack can be transferred over into my name though or if there is anything I should be aware of there.

Any information would be appreciated!

Ron
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Used Eleven Rack

How long has the current owner had it for?

There were some default units with varying problems such as clock issues and input jack problems. Whilst that number probably wasn't huge, buying a second hand one leaves you with no support if there are any issues with it.

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a dud but like anything second hand that's the risk you take.

As far as being able to use it with your current software (only needed if you intend on using 11R with Pro Tools, it'll work fine in standalone), no problems there with the following proviso;

The expansion pack comes in two parts, the firmware upgrade (which I assume is already on the 11R...check that it is firmware version 2.01) and the software upgrade which you will need to have to be able to install it on your computer. The current owner should be able to furnish you with a copy of the software upgrade. When you run that file it will drop a firmware upgrade folder onto your desktop which you can discard (providing the 11R has firmware 2.01 installed). Firmware upgrade only needs to be performed once at least until a later one is released.

To check the firmware version (for assurance it would be best if you can perform this check yourself), Push and hold the Edit/Back button until the screen changes. Keep turning the Scroll knob until you see 'Firmware Version', stop scrolling when it's highlighted then press SW 1 button. Firmware Version will be displayed. Press Edit/Back button twice to get back to main screen.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-03-2011, 10:43 PM

No problems. You will just need to download the drivers for it.

Driver Downloads and Updates for Pro Tools and Standalone

As far as the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (ERXP), I do not think Avid will transfer it, but there is no need to transfer it anyway. Once the ERXP is installed on the 11R (Firmware 2.0.1) if never needs to be run again.

If you need to run the first section of the ERXP in order to get the updated UI files for the Eleven Rack Editor window in PT, its still not a problem, you can download the ERXP here.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=425171

Make sure you get a good deal on a used unit. I would not pay over $500 for a used one personally, unless it came with PT9 or PT10 license.

Another thing to be on the look out for is to make sure the seller can confirm that the 11R does not suffer from the sample rate problem that some of the older units had.

It may be best for you to buy a new Eleven Rack that includes a warranty, a new v.2 iLok, PT9 with free crossgrade to PT10, and the ERXP. Normal price is $899, but many stores have sales going on, perhaps not specifically for the 11R, but a general 15% off or a certain amount off depending on how much you spend ect.... And the holiday season is coming and Music store always put out rebates and coupons this time of year.

Then there is eBay, where some ebay stores are selling the 11R with PT10 and the ERXP new, from $699 to $799. Some are buy it now only, some have a Best Offer option.

Just make sure on whatever you decided, to do your due diligence before buying, and get all the specifics in writing from the product page text or from an email from the seller, maybe even go as far as to print out the email or product page text. Use a Credit Card or Paypal so you have recourse if the product is not what was promised.

Good luck.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Thanks so much for all the information guys. I really appreciate it. I might just wait and try to pick up a new one. I already have the Eleven plugin and use it quite a bit so I thought it might be cool to pick up the rack and get the extra amp models and effects. Since I already have the plugin version I am not really in a hurry so it might be best to wait and try to get a good deal on a new one, especially since both of you mentioned some issues with some of the earlier units. That is why I posted it right here because I knew I could get some good advice!

Thanks again!

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Thanks so much for all the information guys. I really appreciate it. I might just wait and try to pick up a new one. I already have the Eleven plugin and use it quite a bit so I thought it might be cool to pick up the rack and get the extra amp models and effects. Since I already have the plugin version I am not really in a hurry so it might be best to wait and try to get a good deal on a new one, especially since both of you mentioned some issues with some of the earlier units. That is why I posted it right here because I knew I could get some good advice!

Thanks again!

Ron
I too have the Eleven Plugin. And that is what sold me on the rack as well.

Let me say, even though the models use the same code (i guess) except for Speaker Breakup, it 'feels' much better to play through the 11R. And the Amps, Effects, Cabs, ect... added by the ERXP are a must have

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio