Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Wink Midi recall of snapshots Qlab

ok i have followed as much info as i can find regarding recall of snapshots from external programs and i am still not getting anywhere.
I can record the midi sequence in the snapshot so i know the data is getting to the SC48. but it wont recall the snapshot.
What else am i missing?

Qlab sequence note on, channnel 1, note 9, velocity 0 is what is showing in the midi section on sc48 . that was recorded from qlab when space bar was pressed. but from there it doesnt do anything

Dave
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Avid

Default Re: Midi recall of snapshots Qlab

Check the "Snapshots recall using..." setting on the Options>Snapshots page.

Sheldon
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm not in front of the console right now, but doesn't an event have to be programmed to do that? Also I think the MIDI light needs to be engaged on the snapshot you want it to run.
Sacramento, CA
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcartledge View Post
Qlab sequence note on, channnel 1, note 9, velocity 0 is what is showing in the midi section on sc48 . that was recorded from qlab when space bar was pressed. but from there it doesnt do anything
Hi Dave,

I just re-read this. Snapshots use Bank and Prog Change MIDI commands to recall snapshots. Check that QLab is sending the right MIDI commands.

Sheldon
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Hi All,
The Venue platform requires Bank and Program change information to recall snapshots. Generally Bank 0 is standard and is assumed by the platform so all you need to do is issue the Midi channel, and program change data to get the snapshot to recall.
On the Venue/Snapshot page set the Midi channel to receive snapshot information, typically I use channel 16. From your software issue the channel info then the program change data. As for all things Midi you need to remember that Midi data 0 is your program data 1 etc. So, to recall Snapshot 12 using Midi channel 16 as your vehicle you program your software to issue Channel 16, data 11. Snapshot 23 would be Channel 16, data 22 etc.

Beware....there is one gotcha in all this!! If you change the order of snapshots on your Venue system then your data has to be changed because the system automatically renumbers the snapshots.
I already complained to Sheldon about this.

FYI I use a cue management program called Multiplay....google it. It is shareware (pay something if you like it) and it works very well for this kind of operation. It is bare bones and takes a little getting used to. I use it for everything! Coincidentally, I don't always get to use the FOH desk that I request and I use this software for Digico and Yamaha desks as well.

There are many advantages to using external snapshot management software, for example you can setup multiple sets (Set 1, Set 2 Showcase set etc) and repeat snapshots as often as you like (e.g. Talk). My Snapshot management files usually include a list of every tune that the artist is likely to do, Standard set lists, Special event lists and even shortlists for TV shows etc.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Cheers
Clive Alcock,
FOH Diana Krall