Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Keyboard control of Virtual Instruments

That's only if he has midi ports on his audio interface. Otherwise he will still need a USB to midi interface.

Even if you have midi on your audio interface, I think it's better and easier to go USB. Then you can mess around with other programs using your computer's built in output, without having to have your interface turned on.

This one seems to be popular and work well:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-...29-i1154079.gc
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
This one seems to be popular and work well:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-...29-i1154079.gc
If you do get this midi to usb interface, make sure you download the correct drivers from M-Audio's site to match the specific version of Windows you have installed.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Terry...Here's a nice and simple way to do this:

We really need to know what model keyboard you have so we can give you more specific instructions...

If your keyboard has a USB connector, connect that to the computer. If your keyboard does not have a USB connecter, determine if it has a MIDI OUT connector. Most keyboards will have one or both of these connectors, but if your keyboard doesn't have one of these ports you will not be able to control VIs with your keyboard.

If you only have a MIDI OUT connector, and you don't have MIDI connections on your recording interface, you will need to get either this or a similar cable:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...Fc9FMgodbgQAnQ

Note that this cable has connectors for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, but for what you want to do you will only need to connect the proper cable to the MIDI OUT connector.

You then need to consult your Yamaha keyboard documentation for instructions regarding Local Control. I don't remember how it should be set, but you want it so when you press a key on your keyboard you do not get any sound from the keyboard. You will also need to find out how to set the MIDI Channel.

You will then need to refer to Chapter 10 (Configuring MIDI) on Page 147 in the Pro Tools 9 manual and follow the instructions provided there. Note that Windows and Macs have separate instructions.

You will then need to create an Instrument Track and add a virtual instrument. An instrument is sort of a combination of a MIDI Track and an Instrument Track. It allows you to record MIDI data while listening to the output from the VI.

Read the following sections in Chapter 13 (Tracks) in the Pro Tools 9 manual: Assigning Audio Inputs and Outputs to Tracks on Page 227, and Assigning MIDI Inputs and Outputs to Tracks on Page 235.

You will also need to check the documentation for your selected virtual instrument to determine how to set the MIDI channel in the VI.

And at this point, you should be ready to start recording.

Good luck!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Much Thanks BillDenton for your detailed instructions. My keyboard is the Yamaha DGX500 and I don't think it has a USB connection but I'll check again. I think my PT's 9 came with some virtual instruments but here again I'll need to check it out. I know there's a couple of them listed in the Audiosuite popup menu such as Eleven and Intune, (I guess these are virtual instruments cause I've never understood how to get them to work with audio tracks). My I/O , (Audiophile 2496) does have MIDI connectors so I'm ok there. Again, thanks to you and all the others who contributed advice.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Terry, the DGX500 does have Midi In and Out connections. So all you need is a midi to midi cable to connect the keyboard to your I/O device. They say go with the shortest length cable possible, but I have not had any issues using a 10 foot cable. On my Roland W-30, I did not have to set up anything to output MIDI, looks like it is always sending MIDI. Also I did not have to do anything on the keyboard regarding LOCAL CONTROL. My keyboard does not have integrated speakers, so unless I have a 1/4 inch cable connecting it to an external amp, no sound is heard from it. But as Bill Denton says, check your manual. Look in your plugins for Xpand! It is a pretty easy to use VI with lots of nice instruments. My purchase of PT 7.4 included it. If you don't see it, look through your CDRoms, maybe you have it but didn't install it.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Also,

Something to keep in mind is that you can use the MIDI return (Midi in) on your keyboard if you want to be able to write midi tracks and trigger the actual sounds in the keyboard (might be nice to combine say the sound of the Xpand VI that came with your PT software and the sounds from your keyboard so its not all "the same sounds").

To do this you will need the midi return (out of audio interface and into keyboard) and then to record the audio your trigger from your keyboard you use the same analog audio plugged into your interface and coming into an audio track to be recorded.

You should have these 2 VI's that I use all the time: Xpand 2 and Vaccum plus you also get Mini-Grand, DB33, and Boom.

To record the MIDI (use the virtual instrument) just create a new Instrument track (this combines the midi track and audio track into one so you just insert whatever VI you want on the insert and the MIDI will trigger the samples (you can adjust parameters by opening the VI plugin, and these parameters can now be armed for automation and agjusted using your synths midi assigned controller knobs).

If you wanted to record midi to trigger your yamaha's sound banks you can send the output of either an instrument track or a midi track you have set up to record (or if you have already recorded a midi track you can just send it to the yamaha to trigger its internal sounds) to feed the midi in on the yamaha... then send the analog audio out into your analog audio input on your interface, create a track in PT and select that input... record enable and whalla now your midi track is playing the sounds of your yamaha and the audio track can record the analog audio... you can change the midi notes until you have that track right and then record the analog sounds from your keyboard to the audio track...

Many possibilities when it comes to midi, VI, and external synths!!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Terry... your keyboard.

You then need to consult your Yamaha keyboard documentation for instructions regarding Local Control. I don't remember how it should be set, but you want it so when you press a key on your keyboard you do not get any sound from the keyboard. You will also need to find out how to set the MIDI Channel..

Good luck!
Hi

Just a friendly reminder :

Regarding "Local on/off" on the master keyboard (the yamaha in this case) it should be set to "Off" otherwise the yamaha will send MIDI on all channels and with Local Off you wont hear the piano sounds on every sound played from a VI aswell as only access one midi channel at a time when you play the Virtual Instruments

Here are a few lines about this Yamaha Keyboard regarding Local on/off setting when using it as a master controller.
It is the same settings for Mac and PC regarding this so you don't get confused when it says Mac in there.

http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/sho...-500-on-my-Mac

Good Luck :)
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks guys, your all the greatest! I'm overwhelmed with so much info! I am confident that in time it will all become clear to me. But, for now It's one small step for me! I'm printing out all the helpful posts from this thread for future reference. Thanks again.