Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Will ASIO4ALL let me do this...?

Hi All,

I am runnning PT10 on WIndows 7 64 bit. Usinf a MOTU audio express with a 11R via SPDIF.

I am also using DIRAC room correction software, however PT is not able to send its output through DIRAC's virtual audio device. DIRAC puts a virtual audio device in your devices in windows, and once you set that to the default device, all audio such as anything from Itunes etc goes through it. Dirac 's device is set to use the MOTU ASIO driver. PT's is also using the MOTU deivce as its default interface.

Does Asio4all allow me to see the DIRAC device that I cant see at the moment? So I can then route PT's out through it? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Will ASIO4ALL let me do this...?

Pretty sure this is not going to work. While Aggregate might work on a Mac for this, Windows does not allow for Aggregate, which means you must choose a single Audio Engine(IOW, the device with inputs and outputs). I'm not familiar with DIRAC, but there are other room tuning solutions that would work. Check out KRK's ERGO and JBL's MSC-1. IK's ARC works, but as a plugin, which means you need to bypass it for bouncing so you don't get room compensation as part of your file(you DON'T want that). A better(maybe) solution would be to improve your speakers, room treatments or both. Adding EQ can(not saying "WILL" but "CAN") introduce phase shifts as part of the EQ function(especially if its modeling analog EQ).

Having said that, how does DIRAC work and could it be done thru VEPro5?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Well I already have dirac and a fully treated room so I don't think they are options. There must be a way. All system audio is supposed to stream through it and it does, but not PT!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Asio4all DOES aggregate but you would end up with different Asio 4 all outputs. I guess you could figure something else.

So, download Asio4all.
Install it
Boot Protools change audio device. Ignore pro tools warnings until you have selected the detailed inputs and outputs in Asio4 all.
press ok in the warning telling you that you messed with some settings and needs to reboot your tune.
Start Protools (there is a key to press that would allow you to select the audio driver that i forgot).
If you didn't know the hot key, go to Setup engine and select asio4all.
It will tell you to restart protools. do it.
now after it's up go to setup I/O and press default for every page.
You should see your devices showing up.
I just did this with my realtek Window motherboard audio and M-Audio Audiophile.
I was able to record through either device and output to any device. There is some latency of course as Asio4all is trying to accomodate for all the connected devices that use windows audio. I opened up a click outputting to realtek and another click outputting to M-Audio. It worked but there's probably a good 20-30 ms delay between the tracks. Still way better than a windows driver which can be 500ms. It all seems to work.
I still don't know if this would help you out. It depends how your virtual device hooks into Windows and if Asio4all sees it. Just lose it if it doesn't work. Asio4all is quite noninvasive to use and quite miraculous.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.