Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2001, 08:54 PM

Default horrendous clicks & pops being introduced by playback of strongly edited sessions

After heavily editing some sessions horrendous clicks were introduced during playback. After my nervous breakdown passed i checked if i could see this clicks in the waveforms and i did!!! Then after thinking that i've lost months of work, i noticed that as i zoomed in the clicks disappeared!!! Then i noticed that the clicks were random, thus i think that the Audio files are OK. But i want to keep all the editing work i've done. I've tried trashing the prefs, defragment drives, reinstalling DAE, Protools, everything but reinstalling the system because that would take too long and clients are booked. Could somebody please help??? Everything else works fine including other/new sessions & recordings.
System 9.0.2
G 3 w/320 Meg Ram
PT 5.0
Atto Card, Digidrives
Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Old 01-26-2001, 10:07 PM

Default Re: horrendous clicks & pops being introduced by playback of strongly edited sessions

I cant think what would cause that, especially that they are showing up in the waveform... You say once they are random and once that you see them... Which is it? And when you soomed in full zoom they were gone for good or just at that zoom level?
I would try the duplicate command on one of the tracks you are finished editing with clicks, and see if you still hear it.. Sometimes I get that thing where the waveform is off sync with what I am hearing so i do a option shift 3 to dupe it and it takes care of it...
But try to break the problem dowm further...
Is it on all tracks ? Only on some? What about when you solo tracks and listen individually?
2 obvious things but Ill say anyway:
Check the edits... maybe the clicks are at some of the splice points of your many edits
and check clock... maybe the clock reference in session setup window has switched to an unsync'd option...
--victor
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 01-27-2001, 06:10 AM

Default Re: horrendous clicks & pops being introduced by playback of strongly edited sessions

You might also try to add crossfades:
• Select all files
• Command F (crassfades)
• ENTER

When I have pops or clicks between edits, this usually works. (You may have to adjust the Crossfade milliseconds)
Old 01-27-2001, 09:11 AM

and check clock... maybe the clock reference in session setup window has switched to an unsync'd option...
--victor[/B][/QUOTE]

yeah - it sounds like you have some bizarre clocking issue. as if it's locked to some other reference or AS above.

s

Old 01-27-2001, 01:47 PM

I recently stumbled on a problem like this ( http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/006600.html ). It turned out that the clicks were apparently introduced when the editing started, and was probably caused by a wrong clock-setting during recording. If that is the case, all can sound well during recording and even playback, but the **** hits the fan as soon as you start editing (even minor things like trimming, splicing etc.) The waveform will jump, change, clicks start soft and will grow louder with every edit.... For me it was hell !

Could that scenario fit somehow ?

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
Old 01-27-2001, 02:57 PM

smlworld:
the USD is the master (is running in it's internal clock)
Arno: it really sounds similar to what you described with the excepcion that the problem appeared in some sessions that where sounding perfect without any further modification. Actually, I discovered the problem in other session of the same project while doing some Audio Suite processing and it seemed to spread like a disease to previously good sounding sessions which by the way have only in common it's many, many editions (bad musicians with good ideas , in some cases after edition Audio Files were converted back to continuous new files using AS gain change with 0 gain (I believe it's the simplest operation only multiplying the bits by 1 and thus keeping the data intact) to increase redrawing speed and decrease session weight and consecuently saving time. That procedure was working good until day X in wich the glitches occured after the processing, and the undo command took care of that, but the editions were too many to keep and i had to rerecord the tracks using the buses to route to new tracks wich worked just fine. But after that the problem appeared in many OTHER sessions without even doing changes on them!!!
sorry for the long story but i feel this is a good description of the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks Again.

Hans
Old 01-27-2001, 08:00 PM

Hans

I lock my USD to an Ardsync 2 AND a sigma blackburst. I have always felt the need for a master clock - i used to lock clock from a microlynx with blackburst and 256. Perhaps, and this is a WILD guess - your USD is out of wack. Have you tried pulling usd out of the loop and using internal 888 sync?

good hunting.
Old 01-28-2001, 12:35 AM

thanks Everest for your tip on duplicating, i'll try that, but the waveforms are in sync with the sound (except for the glitches). Of course i use crossfades and all the studio is properly in sync with an USD. As i said the glitches are random and only appear in some files and in some sessions, and in different zoomings they change place and sometimes disappear!!! if there was a clock issue i would have them all the time and maybe they would not even draw, right? i apreciate the suggestions folks!
Hans
Old 01-28-2001, 12:49 AM

Hans

Is your USD locked to anything or is it the master?

scott
Old 01-29-2001, 04:51 AM
Avid

-To confirm whether or not the clicks are in fact part of the audio file(s), highlight all regions in the edit window and choose "Recalculate Waveform Overviews" from the Audio Regions List menu.

-Check the integrity of your drives with Disk Warrior or any other such utility. Repair any and all corrupted catalogs and/or BTree Directories.

-Check your drives for the possibility of a Virus using Virex, Norton AntiVirus or any other such utility. Repair any and all corrupted files.

Brent