Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 AM

Default Komplete Ultimate Hard Drive and Pro Tools Questions.

I'm considering the Komplete Ultimate package. They say it's bundled up onto a USB drive and runs from there. So, a couple of questions. (I did search this section a few times, but didn't find anything absolute. I did stop looking after 30 minutes or so each time.)

#1: I was wondering if this worked in the PT-10 environment, or would I have to install everything on to my computer?

#2: Any thoughts about whether or not my M-Audio Axiom keyboard will work with the Ultimate VIs? (My Axiom is the version that was discontinued this past Spring-2012)

#3: How is the performance? Mostly interested using the VIs.

I've seen a bunch of comments doing the searches and it looks pretty favorable. Feel free to rant/rave or otherwise comment on this product. I appreciate the insights.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Komplete Ultimate Hard Drive and Pro Tools Questions.

"... USB drive and runs from there...."
Only Installs from there! You may also need to download other items released after the hard drive was made.
The install is considerably faster than a bunch of dvd's, however you'll likely need (or should for the sample part of the install) a fast drive for the libraries and adequate room to the application install on your boot drive.

All in All, the Ultimate drive is for ease of installation.
And yes it works in PT's 10 with some of the app updated for AAX support.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 AM

That is certainly a key difference. Thanks for that.

I need to examine my hard drive situation now. I know the PT hates 3/4 full disks.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM

One of my Sample libraries disk (EWQL CCC HDD) is packed with well what it came with an a few other vi's. Sitting presently at 90% filled. I got other VI's on other drives too, but PT is not having any issue with it. IT's however different for your Audio drive, where you keep your recorded data. But even then, I think it's gotten a lot smoother with the new HD disk management they are using with PT 10.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

My PC's drive sizes are not favorable for what I want to do..... I think. My main drive, the one with PT and the OS system files is 372gb to start with. It's got 210GB open.

My D: drive, which is the sessions data drive, is 544 total with 381 free.

Are PCs expandable? I wonder if I could put a dedicated PT HD in here? The machine is only 18 months old or so.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM

The drive that ships with K Ultimate is just a convenience instead of DVD's. That drive is not of a quality to be used for daily use.

Ideally, you want a separate hard drive for your sample libraries, separate from the system drive and separate from the audio drive. You would install the Komplete applications on your system drive and the samples on your sample drive, then put the drive that Komplete shipped with on a shelf as backup, treating it as if it were DVD's.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Ah, that means for now at least that I can load the samples onto my audio drive. Even if 240gb got put on my audio/session data drive, I'd be at 81% capacity. My applications drive would go up by however big the apps are.

Hmmmm, another hard drive is still sounding better.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Ah, that means for now at least that I can load the samples onto my audio drive. Even if 240gb got put on my audio/session data drive, I'd be at 81% capacity. My applications drive would go up by however big the apps are.

Hmmmm, another hard drive is still sounding better.
You should never put samples on the audio drive, its a recipe for disaster/disk IO related errors. And Komplete seems even more a pig than other VIs so be especially careful. I would go for a high-spec separate drive, if you are feeling wealthy maybe a (large) SSD drive.

Darryl
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM

I checked into the pricing of hard drives. Kind of a no brainer. a 1TB drive equal to what I have will run just a little over a $100, and they'll install it and set it up for $50. That part seems kind of worth it to me just so I don't have to. I'm currently, um, well, let's just say for now that it's best I don't dig into computers. Next time. :)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM

yep. Even though its not an audio drive I would tend to follow the audio drive specs for your platform (which make the drives interchangeable if needed). Especially avoid "green" drives like the WDC Caviar Green.

Darryl