Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 AM

Default New to Beat Detective - need some advice

My main DAW is SX3 so I am not familiar at all in using BD.

I also purchased the online training vid from www.grooveboxmusic.com and watched it very thoroughly (took lots of notes and everything)so I know enough to have an intelligent discussion on the topic. BTW, They could have done a much better job with the training vid IMO but that is another story.

I currently only work with acoustic drums and real instruments.I am working on a drum track with about 12 seperate tracks including snr, kik, toms, oh, room mics, hihat and ride. I am using these tracks to practice and have a few questions;

1) For those of you with a full version of BD do you generally do all drum tracks at the same time ?

2) If so which Analysis mode do you prefer when analyzing all drum tracks at the same time , High or Low ?

3) I know Kick works better with Low Analysis Modes and Snare and Cymbals work better with High Analysis modes but what about Room mics, Overheads and Toms?

4) What sensitivity levels do you usually use, or is there no such thing as usually with this program ?

5) I seem to run into situations where after some fills my drum tracks completely lose time with the click - any simple things that you can think of that I should look for to correct this? What could I be overlooking or doing wrong?

6) The drum track I am working on has about 4 instances with the Kick executing a 32nd note triplet. Acutally its not a complete triplet but the first two notes of triplet - does thie warrant checking off the "contains triplet" box?

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers!

P.S. - I already posted this topic in the M-Powered section. After no responses it occurred to me that most people in that forum might not have a full version of BD and might not record 10+ tracks of live drums.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: New to Beat Detective - need some advice

Quote:

I also purchased the online training vid from www.grooveboxmusic.com and watched it very thoroughly (took lots of notes and everything)so I know enough to have an intelligent discussion on the topic. BTW, They could have done a much better job with the training vid IMO but that is another story.

I currently only work with acoustic drums and real instruments.I am working on a drum track with about 12 seperate tracks including snr, kik, toms, oh, room mics, hihat and ride. I am using these tracks to practice and have a few questions;

1) For those of you with a full version of BD do you generally do all drum tracks at the same time ?

2) If so which Analysis mode do you prefer when analyzing all drum tracks at the same time , High or Low ?

3) I know Kick works better with Low Analysis Modes and Snare and Cymbals work better with High Analysis modes but what about Room mics, Overheads and Toms?

4) What sensitivity levels do you usually use, or is there no such thing as usually with this program ?

5) I seem to run into situations where after some fills my drum tracks completely lose time with the click - any simple things that you can think of that I should look for to correct this? What could I be overlooking or doing wrong?

6) The drum track I am working on has about 4 instances with the Kick executing a 32nd note triplet. Acutally its not a complete triplet but the first two notes of triplet - does thie warrant checking off the "contains triplet" box?

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers!

P.S. - I already posted this topic in the M-Powered section. After no responses it occurred to me that most people in that forum might not have a full version of BD and might not record 10+ tracks of live drums.
1. For me each case is different. I will always try to do all of the drum tracks at once, although this is sometimes not possible if there are two different feels within the same drum pattern. Sometimes you have to pick which elements match rhythms and which elements match different rhythms.

2. High or low sensitivity depends on the material. Try both, see which works better with your track.

3. I usually leave it on high analysis unless BD is missing some of the lower pitched drums.

4. In PT HD there is a sensitivity slider that you can adjust and see where it will cut your region at. Sometimes you move the slider and you get all the cuts at the exact right spots, but this is rare. Normally you will have to adjust it to be overly sensitive and then option click the cuts in the file that you don't want.

5. If the recording is very far off from the beat, BD won't help much. Try recording a better take!

6. I wouldn't check the contains triplets box. Instead I would BD the rest of it as normal, and manually cut those triplets yourself. Triplet mode is more for rhythms that have a triplet feel, while what you are describing just sounds like there are a few 32nd note triplets in the session.

Hopefully this helps some...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 AM

I just wanted to agree with you on the video... I also took lots of notes and it was pretty weak to say the least... It also wouldn't quit in my computer, I had to force quit it everytime...AS they say in ebay world, NOT RECOMENDED
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM

Did you see THIS thread yet?

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Some users, myself included, find that it doesn't always work to BD large sections - frequently I have to cut it into smaller chunks to avoid the 'losing time' phenomenon.

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/