Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-01-2021, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
192 has at lesst 8 analog outputs, unless it is the special 192digital version without anything analog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So adding a 192 with my HD Omni for 16 channels would work then, yea? But then I would also need a whole monitor controller no?
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 09-01-2021, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to expand HD Omni to have 13 channels (7.2.4) for Dolby Atmos mixi

If you have enough outputs, your only headache (after making the connections) is wether you want to control volume by asjusting Master Fader or turning a knob on a physical device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuret View Post
This does indeed help and finally makes sense. Thank you! So it is looking like one way or the other the Mtrx Studio with a monitor controller is what I'll need. I have an Avid Artist Control and Mix plus the iPad app. Could one of those be used as a controller or would I need this: https://vintageking.com/digital-audi...erating-module

Artist Control and Artist Mix work. You don’t need an extra monitor controller.
If a 192 helps to create a controllable 7.2.4 monitor path I don’t know.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:11 AM

As Mark says, The MTRX Studio is the best way to go for you IMHO, It's an I/O for Pro Tools and a monitor controller at the same time, like the Omni on steroids.

The monitoring features on the MTRX Studio, volume/Sources/Dim/Independent speaker mute and solo etc, can be controlled by the free PT Control app on your IPad.
I found it quite a steep learning curve myself. I didn't find the way it operates very intuitive, but on the plus side it's capable of being setup many different ways and once you have it set the way that works for you, it's great.
Also there are lots of threads on here and many videos available to help you get it working the way you need.
You can get the right number of outputs with a 192 or 8x8x8, but you would still need another atmos capable monitoring unit to control speaker mutes and solos etc, to use it effectively.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:48 AM

Another plus for the MTRX Studio is the built in SPQ card which has speaker EQs and Delays to let you calibrate your speakers and adjust delays to compensate for speaker positioning etc. (i.e. you side surrounds are closer to you than your front speakers, or your front LCR speakers are in a straight line and the center channels needs a small delay to arrive at the mix position at the same time as L & R).
Old 09-01-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
As Mark says, The MTRX Studio is the best way to go for you IMHO, It's an I/O for Pro Tools and a monitor controller at the same time, like the Omni on steroids.

The monitoring features on the MTRX Studio, volume/Sources/Dim/Independent speaker mute and solo etc, can be controlled by the free PT Control app on your IPad.
I found it quite a steep learning curve myself. I didn't find the way it operates very intuitive, but on the plus side it's capable of being setup many different ways and once you have it set the way that works for you, it's great.
Also there are lots of threads on here and many videos available to help you get it working the way you need.
You can get the right number of outputs with a 192 or 8x8x8, but you would still need another atmos capable monitoring unit to control speaker mutes and solos etc, to use it effectively.
Awesome. Thank you and all! One more question now: is it possible and what would the solution be to switch between the Mtrx for Pro Tools/studio use and the Marantz theater processor for regular theater use/watching movies? Because it's not a dedicated studio, the wife and kids, and friends and whatnot will be in there watching movies when I'm not working. So I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to squitch back and fourth relatively easy.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Another plus for the MTRX Studio is the built in SPQ card which has speaker EQs and Delays to let you calibrate your speakers and adjust delays to compensate for speaker positioning etc. (i.e. you side surrounds are closer to you than your front speakers, or your front LCR speakers are in a straight line and the center channels needs a small delay to arrive at the mix position at the same time as L & R).
Sweet. Yea, that was one of the things that made me interested in the Mtrx Studio actually. I didn't read how it works though. Is there a setup mic input on the Mtrx that I could plug my Audyssey or Pioneer (or an actual vocal mic?) then run it or would I need something else?
Old 09-01-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuret View Post
Sweet. Yea, that was one of the things that made me interested in the Mtrx Studio actually. I didn't read how it works though. Is there a setup mic input on the Mtrx that I could plug my Audyssey or Pioneer (or an actual vocal mic?) then run it or would I need something else?
The SQP card only offers EQs and delays, there is no auto-calibrate feature. You will be best served by using the free REW (Room EQ Wizard) with an inexpensive calibration mic (one that comes with a calibration profile file) to make measurements, then make adjustments to the MTRX EQs, then remeasure, etc. If you plan to do any serious work in this studio , I would recommend having a professional in to measure and calibrate the room for you.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The SQP card only offers EQs and delays, there is no auto-calibrate feature. You will be best served by using the free REW (Room EQ Wizard) with an inexpensive calibration mic (one that comes with a calibration profile file) to make measurements, then make adjustments to the MTRX EQs, then remeasure, etc. If you plan to do any serious work in this studio , I would recommend having a professional in to measure and calibrate the room for you.
Pro Tools Expert have made a very good guide on how to do this:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...room-eq-wizard
Old 09-01-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
Pro Tools Expert have made a very good guide on how to do this:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...room-eq-wizard
Great info. Thanks!!

I'll be doing this soon, when my room is finished being built, but I will be working with the acoustician/designer, who will measure the room with his system and make the adjustments in SPQ.