Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Angry Cannot change Latency

So I have been following the suggestions in the manual and suggestions offered on this form to correct the distortion on the piece of crap SE software that came with my interface. He is the only part of the instructions which aren't working. I can adjust latency when my interface is connected but protools is off. When I start protools the latency rate returns to the default setting and I cannot adjust it. I am hoping this will be my last adjustment to this cluster f called Pro Tools SE. I have owned it for over a week and have not had a successful recording session yet.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Cannot change Latency

If you are monitoring an instrument or mic through your m-audio device (direct monitor), you should not hear any latency. If you have a keyboard running separately (usb) to your sound card, you may have some latency.
Not sure what could be going wrong.
Make sure you do this first,
from the 'file' menu,' preferences', select' recording' to eliminate as much as possible the amount of latency you hear.
Another trick I use is to partially remove one side of my headphones, then enable the keyboard speakers, or other monitoring device to hear yourself in real time, true zero latency.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM

What do you mean by "latency rate?" Are you talking about the buffer size? What interface are you using? How are you trying to "change the latency?"

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 AM

I cannot change latency either when Pro Tools Se is already running. It sets the latency automatically to 128 and locks it even though I selected 512 before. It is really a problem because in 128 latency a "robot noise" appears and compromises all music production. I has already tried M-AUDIO Fast Track forum and no solutions were proposed. My system: SAMSUNG R780 laptop with Windows 7 64 bits SP1 and Pro Tools SE.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this will help or if it is at all related, however when I first had Fast Track hooked up to my laptop, it was in a USB 3 port. Anything which I listened to or recorded came out with horrible distortion and as Guigon describes, a robot noise.

The latency in preferences was also locked for me to 512 I believe, and I was unable to change it.

I could only resolve the noise by plugging the Fast Track in to the slower USB 2 port. Now all of my audio is fine!