Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Getting rid of the "Shhh" noises

+ 1 to metal pop shield, mic technique for vocalists, mic placement/selection for recording engineer and use of compression, eq and de'essing by the mix/mastering engineers.

Listen to 'Susheela Raman' singing 'Trust in me' from the jungle book for a great example of dealing with sibilance and plosives during recording/mixing/mastering.

D

Last edited by deltasigma; 10-07-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

I just tried the Massey De-esser and I have to say that I think it is amazing!

I have had some really Essey singers lately and I have really been struggling with de-essing. I have tried DSM, Waves De-esser, RDe-esser and the included De-esser that comes with Pro Tools. The Massey one is way better than all of those.

What impresses me most is how well it is able to just find the esses and shh and etc. so that the de-esser doesn't even touch the sound of the rest of the track. Pretty amazing. It is kind of like doing all the side chain stuff talked about here where you would slice the esses to another track, but it does it with the plug-in. I purchased it within 30 minute of using it and it is now the first and only Massey Plug-in I have purchased (not that I don't think his plug-ins are amazing, I just haven't felt a need for one of his plug-ins until now).

If you are struggling with De-Essing a vocal, at least give it a try on his demo version. It also has a cool re-essing feature that can be used to brighten up cymbals and etc. WAYY COOL!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I just tried the Massey De-esser and I have to say that I think it is amazing!

WAYY COOL!
Its by far my Fave & I too hav all the others u mentioned...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 AM

Yeah, two thumbs up for Massey De:Esser. Compared to others, and I've tried most of them, his de-esser is the best at keeping the sonic quality intact. With proper use there's no lisping and no pumping artifacts.