Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Default Hey You'll I need youlls help and recommendations on buying the M BOX for windows VIS

Someone help me please???? Is pro tools compatible with my computer??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past 3 Years Ive been using cool edit pro and recently Adobe audition 3.0 to record my music. And I just want to take a step up. Ive been wanting to learn how to use pro tools because its what most of the industry is using. Now please do understand I dont play any instruments for my music, I just drag a instrumental onto the program and record what I have written on my pad.Therefore Im only using one mic. Do you'll think the Mbox mini is the interface for me? and if so I am using a dell inspiron 530, (please google it and let me know if pro tools is compatible with my desktop. Thank those who have taken the time to help me.

here is a link to show you what computer i am using...

http://www.walmart.com/Dell-Inspiron...CD/ip/10828735
Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Hey You'll I need youlls help and recommendations on buying the M BOX for windows

The Mini would probably do the job you want...

HOWEVER...

That computer isn't going to be able to run Pro Tools. It has a Celeron processor, which is incompatible with Pro Tools.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Hey You'll I need youlls help and recommendations on buying the M BOX for windows

Thanks alot man...very upsetting news but ill look on craigslist and find a hard drive desktop that is compatible with pro tools....what should I be looking for in a hard drive please let me know ASAP...THNKZ
Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

Hi Antho & WELCOME TO THE DUC!!! Don't mean to rain on ur parade, but if its more of a hobby or so then u may just wanna check out some others things 1st... PT is not just Hey I got PT, I should be able to make a hit type of software, & I ONLY say that because of what u said about u you'll wanting to get it because it the industry standard... which leads me to ask, are u in the industry or as I asked, just wanting som'n to record urself & things u may do?...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Im not exactly in the industry but its my dream lol...I know I wanna become an artist/music producer in my lifetime... and I mean just from what Ive been told its what alot of artist in the buisness use...and I just want a good sound quality from it...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 AM

I definitely have to agree with Key here; if Audition is working for you, stick with it.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM

See thats my problem I want my music to sound clear...and I guess you can say I dont have the best equipment...I have Adobe audition 3.0 a behringer XENYX1622FX Mixer and a behringer B1 Mic..I record in my closet which is sound proof but at the end of the day my music dosnt sound clear...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Just "getting Pro Tools" is not going to fix that. While the gear you have is not the greatest, a lot can be done with what you have, if you know what you're doing. It's really not about what you have, but how you use it.

Seriously, check out instructional information on the internet. Places like The Project Studio Handbook, and YouTube can really go a long way to making what you have sound much better.

And the 1622FX isn't really all that bad. I actually own one ( ). I don't use it for recording, I use it as a live mixing board for PA for small clubs. It's got a bit of self noise, but it's still pretty decent, and could be used for decent recording (again, if you know how to use it).

The B1? OK. I'll agree there. I own one of those too, and I'll admit, that's definitely not the greatest. I only use mine when I'm intentionally trying to get something to sound "trashy".

If you are going to spend money on improvements, I would start with a better mic before anything.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Just "getting Pro Tools" is not going to fix that.
Yeah especially gettin an Mbox Mini; what u have may be better or equal sounding to what u'd get with that... This is not @ u by ANY MEANS Antho but I hate when guys/producers/beatmakers(whatever they wanna title themselves these days) come to my studio asking can they sit & watch me work/mix/track or whatever & then the infamous line of, "I got Pro tools, why my stuff don't sound like that; I have an Mbox & a Kellogg's Mic"

Get my point

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Yea your right man...I should work with what I got I jus wish i really knew how to really mess with the mixer and really knew like the professional or proper way to mix and master maybe it would make my vocals sound better...but I do plan on moving to a pro tools set in the near future do u know the sytem requirements i should be looking for in a desktop hard drive in order to run pro tools right on windows??? p.s. thanks alot for your help mann this is a great forum!!