Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-30-2021, 01:07 PM

Default iLok Lost & Found

Was hoping to get some feedback on here re: a lost iLok which I was lucky enough to find just as I sent in the RMA request to iLok that has since deactivated the licenses on it. I specifically am seeking help on what the next step would be because I could easily drop a bunch of money for something I may not potentially need.

iLok (2nd gen) is working, looks like it is connected to my iLok account still. Licenses for PT10/11 are no longer in and their initial customer support email said that this process was permanent. They instructed me to contact Avid who then told me to contact iLok but I believe this may have been a miscommunication error. Waiting on responses from them. not sure when that will be.

In theory I should just be able to have my licenses placed back onto my iLok dongle given that it is functioning and I have long since paid for this product. I have very little hope however that it will be this easy as I don't expect Avid or iLok to care about a customer who isn't hooked into their current subscription model.

Contacting Avid by phone is impossible without a support code which costs $50 and if I need to replace my dongle that is going to be another $60 + a bunch of other "service fees" that will conveniently pop up I am sure.

Before I open my wallet and spend $100+ on vultures is there anything I can do in this situation to make this as painless as possible? The solution seems simple to me but I have heard nothing positive from this company regarding customer service so I am going in with very low expectations.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:35 PM

Default Re: iLok Lost & Found

Hi, welcome to the community.

Did I understand you correctly, that you first lost your iLok key and reported it to iLok, only to find it later?

Did I also understand that you have the licenses either on your newly found license key or in your iLok account?

If so, you can keep using the old key with the old licenses. And if the licenses are on your iLok account, you can deposit them to your old key, no need to buy new one (although version three is much more sturdy and smaller).

So please elaborate, what is the problem currently?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Did I understand you correctly, that you first lost your iLok key and reported it to iLok, only to find it later?

Did I also understand that you have the licenses either on your newly found license key or in your iLok account?

If so, you can keep using the old key with the old licenses. And if the licenses are on your iLok account, you can deposit them to your old key, no need to buy new one (although version three is much more sturdy and smaller).

So please elaborate, what is the problem currently?

Yes I lost it, put in the RMA request with PACE which has since disabled it however I have since located my iLok. According to them, it's bricked because the process is irreversible once you put in a claim. It feels ludicrous to me but I don't see any way around this.

According to PACE I have to contact Avid and get them to give me replacement licenses. If I have to buy a new iLok it is fine but reaching Avid's customer service would require money + I am worried about hidden fees that will just run me well over $100 for a program that I have already paid for.

EDIT: Also to clarify, my iLok account now has no licenses on it so I can't open PT anymore.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCAN View Post
Yes I lost it, put in the RMA request with PACE which has since disabled it however I have since located my iLok. According to them, it's bricked because the process is irreversible once you put in a claim. It feels ludicrous to me but I don't see any way around this.

According to PACE I have to contact Avid and get them to give me replacement licenses. If I have to buy a new iLok it is fine but reaching Avid's customer service would require money + I am worried about hidden fees that will just run me well over $100 for a program that I have already paid for.
First thing I would do is contact PACE and say you found it and ask if you can send the key for them to do whatever they wish to do with it. Buying another key is not so costly, but getting the licenses showing on your iLok account is the most important thing.

EDIT: when you report a broken license key they need to get the broken key to their tech, so if they could just turn your claim from lost to broken.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
First thing I would do is contact PACE and say you found it and ask if you can send the key for them to do whatever they wish to do with it. Buying another key is not so costly, but getting the licenses showing on your iLok account is the most important thing.

EDIT: when you report a broken license key they need to get the broken key to their tech, so if they could just turn your claim from lost to broken.

I will ask them in the next correspondence if they would do this. I dont have any of their coverage so I feel like I'm a bit screwed. The dongle works though, I don't see what the difference is if PACE can't just reactivate the iLok and Avid can just return the licenses to it.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCAN View Post
I will ask them in the next correspondence if they would do this. I dont have any of their coverage so I feel like I'm a bit screwed. The dongle works though, I don't see what the difference is if PACE can't just reactivate the iLok and Avid can just return the licenses to it.
In case PACE agrees to move your lost claim to broken claim, you would send the license key to them, then they would restore the licenses out of your dysfunctional license key and put them back to your account. Then you only need to buy another (newer and better) license key.