Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 AM

Default Offline bounce takes forever to start

I have had this issue for years, from PT10 at least, and with many osx versions, but I think it is gone worse now with Protools Ultimate.

When I have a large session and I bounce it, nothing happens for a minute or so. Then the progress bar starts going, and after it's done there is another long pause (20-30s) before Protools is responsive again.

Is this normal? Is the offline bounce really this bad by design? These pauses are there even with light sessions, but they are shorter.

I also use Logic Pro, and no matter how heavy the session is, the bounce starts immediately.

My system: OSX 10.12.6, Mac Pro 5.1, Protools HD Native PCI.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Offline bounce takes forever to start

Are you using the rewire plugin to monitor something like soundminer? If so, remove it (restart may be required).
Old 09-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Good advice, also what plugins are on the master as i know some izotope plugins and other heavy use ones can start issues but haven’t seen this in a long time. Here it starts asap no matter what session size. Shouldn’t take that long or behave line that.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 AM

I could be wrong but I think Pro Tools need some time after exporting to create the final stereo file, probably more justified if you are working with dual mono stereo files to start with. If you are using plugins with higher levels of oversampling this will definitely increase the export times, sometimes to crazy lengths. The solution for me is to freeze the tracks where I'm using values > x8 as soon as I'm done with them.

Last edited by amagras; 09-20-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Grammar, there you go
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM

If you are using HDX, Pro Tools takes some time to recreate the mixer and the DSP plugins natively before it can begin bouncing, and again to instantiate all those things on the cards before returning control to PT.

EDIT: It looks like you are using HD Native, so I am not sure this would apply. Certain plugins can make offline bounce take a long time, though. I believe anything Soundtoys is one, and there are probably others.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 09-20-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: addtl.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Are you using the rewire plugin to monitor something like soundminer? If so, remove it (restart may be required).
Amazing! Thank you for this insight. I had posted the same exact question a few days ago and got a rather snarky response about not providing enough information about my system. Im glad to find a solution to a much hated issue.

I deactivated the Soundminer Engine plugin (SM Engine 4.0) in the session and the bounce started right away. No wait time and it was a much faster bounce overall. 9.1x compared to 1.2x previously. Also, there was no hangup when it was done bouncing.

Originally, I had only changed all the plugins to Native but this didnt change anything. So I went back to a DSP/Native combo and just removed the soundminer plug and all was well.

A full Pro Tools restart was required after deactivating the SM plugin. Far less time than waiting for the bounce to start on a long project.

Again, thanking for saving hours of watching the Mac beach ball.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Quote:
also what plugins are on the master as i know some izotope plugins and other heavy use ones can start issues but haven’t seen this in a long time.
I am using rewire (sound miner), AND izotope plugins on the master. I'll try removing them first thing tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Thank you Farhoof! This was a mystery to me also. I was using rewire with the Wave Tune plugin. Once I recorded the tuned vocal I removed Rewire and it fixed the problem. Much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:43 PM

Hi i found that thread after a search and do have that same "issue" with same HW but pro tools ultimate instead.
On the master fader i have PAZ Analyzer, WLM+ (for loudness measurement only), L2.
But i usally do have a set of between 5 or 8 TL Spaces + 2 Capitol Chambers + 2 480L both UAD opened just in case and if not using all : i forget to desactivate them.

Same after bouncing it takes for ever to have the pro tools back online

No rewire or any instrument tracks : just simple audio.
Plugins used : TLA100A + Tubetech (Softube), PuigChild, PAZ, WLM+ RComp (Waves), MDW EQ (G.Massenburg), MaagEQ4 (Plugin Alliance), SIE-Q (SoundToys) i also may use some Impact or SSL comp and that's it.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8