Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 08:26 AM

Default Carbon Expanded - ADAT

Does anyone know if in the future the Carbon Pre ADAT ports will be usable in a Carbon Expanded system? The documentation says they are not available to 'preserve bandwidth' but network bandwidth over 1Gb ports is nowhere close to being utilized if all analog + ADAT ports worked simultaneously. I suspect this is either an intentional decision made by the Product team to limit the I/O or there is some other limitation within the system.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Carbon Expanded - ADAT

Where does it say that? I can't find it in the generic Carbon documentation.
It makes no sense to put loads of ADAT ports on the Pre, and then not let you use them. As you say, there shouldn't be a bandwidth constraint with only 3 units.

Dominic
Old 02-06-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Where does it say that? I can't find it in the generic Carbon documentation.
It makes no sense to put loads of ADAT ports on the Pre, and then not let you use them. As you say, there shouldn't be a bandwidth constraint with only 3 units.

Dominic
Page 3 of the Carbon Systems Guide here.

ADAT I/O is not available in Pro Tools with Pro Tools | Carbon Pre when it is part of a Pro Tools | Carbon Expanded system. However, ADAT I/O remains available on the Pro Tools | Carbon primary device in a Pro Tools | Carbon Expanded system.

If you're using the Carbon Pre as a standalone device the ADAT ports are available.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:30 AM

That’s outrageous. £3000 for 8 channels of I/O.

I’d better check I haven’t given anyone bad advice - I made the assumption all ports would be functional. What a con.

Dominic
Old 02-06-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
That’s outrageous. £3000 for 8 channels of I/O.

I’d better check I haven’t given anyone bad advice - I made the assumption all ports would be functional. What a con.

Dominic
It is shocking to be honest. And I don’t think it’s obvious to most people buying into Carbon Expanded and they’ll find out too late. I would love to hear from Avid’s Carbon Product Manager on why they chose to do this. There are many other interfaces on the market with all different host connection types that let you stack units for expansion whether Ethernet, Thunderbolt, USB-C.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:52 PM

Well the Carbon originally came with two ethernet ports but could not use the second one until the Pre came out ?

I wonder if it might have something with the current AVB mapping ??

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-08-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Does anyone know if in the future the Carbon Pre ADAT ports will be usable in a Carbon Expanded system? The documentation says they are not available to 'preserve bandwidth' but network bandwidth over 1Gb ports is nowhere close to being utilized if all analog + ADAT ports worked simultaneously. I suspect this is either an intentional decision made by the Product team to limit the I/O or there is some other limitation within the system.
I have been under the impression that this is no longer a hardware bandwidth concern. The issue is now on the software side, but there is no timeline to unlock it.