Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-18-2021, 12:57 AM

Default Re: DIGI 002 Control Surface with newer AVID S1?

I don't want to confuse things, but no one has mentioned the Command|8. If you really like the control surface side of the 002, I can highly recommend the C8. You don't have to more than plug it in via USB and you're off. Works great with modern PT because it talks MIDI, and should be very familiar to anybody who's used the 002. I just saw one for sale here in Oslo for less than 100 bucks. (Only problem I've had with it is when I try to use EUCon with my iPad, the C8 meters stop working. But I much rather have C8 than Avid Control on ipad.)
Old 12-18-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Re using the Kemper, I ran it(with regular mic cables) into a pair of Neve clones and it sounded killer(having a really good player didn't hurt). The player took the Kemper home and tried recording thru the mic inputs of the 002(he knows gain structure) and was not able to get a good sound. That's why I suggested that preamps can make or break a recording as much as the mic/di or whatever is being recorded I agree that the RME preamps are excellent, but they are(to my understanding) made to be very clean and transparent. Sometimes that is exactly what you need. Other times a preamp with "character" is what you need(which is why Neve preamps are so revered)

Please remind me, which Neve clones are you using?
thank you
Old 12-18-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I don't want to confuse things, but no one has mentioned the Command|8. If you really like the control surface side of the 002, I can highly recommend the C8. You don't have to more than plug it in via USB and you're off. Works great with modern PT because it talks MIDI, and should be very familiar to anybody who's used the 002. I just saw one for sale here in Oslo for less than 100 bucks. (Only problem I've had with it is when I try to use EUCon with my iPad, the C8 meters stop working. But I much rather have C8 than Avid Control on ipad.)

I decided to get with today's tech and got the AVID S1. Just a better decision for me to stay current. Having owned the 002 for so long, I do not thing it will take too long to adapt and hopefully all new equipment I am choosing lives happily together without too many issues.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I would spend exactly zero dollars on any outboard gear and focus on plugin compressors etc. Where I'd spend money is mics and maybe preamps esp. for vocals, acoustic instruments etc.

Hi Darryl, I know this type of question opens up Pandora's Box as far as what someone's favorite "go-to" plugins are but what plugin compressors were you referring to? I know there are tons of choices out there.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halipino123 View Post
Hi Darryl, I know this type of question opens up Pandora's Box as far as what someone's favorite "go-to" plugins are but what plugin compressors were you referring to? I know there are tons of choices out there.
Yep subjective... there is effectively unlimited choice in plugin land, without any of the hassle of external gear. And "compressor" can be used to cover a lot of territory, different intents and uses. Start with what ones you have. You've got several compressors as standard in Pro Tools and built into channel strip plugins, and now the Complete Plugin Bundle is included with every subscription and perpetual support... you get more including Pro Compressor and Pro Limiter. And if something there is not rocking your boat, then tell folks here what you are trying to do and for specific recommendations.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halipino123 View Post
Please remind me, which Neve clones are you using?
thank you
Chameleon Labs 581's. These are discontinued(I believe) so should be a bargain(I bought the pair for $600 and they were like new). Of course, you will need some kind of 500 rack to use them, but there are lots of options there. Don't just get one with 2 or 3 slots as the 500 platform is fantastic for adding all sorts of "goodness" to your setup. I had the 581 pair, a Vintech 573 pair, a Five Fish X-12 pair and a Retro Double-wide in mine and miss all of them

Quick followup, there is a Reverb.com listing for 1 at $299, but that seller has a pair.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-21-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Chameleon Labs 581's. These are discontinued(I believe) so should be a bargain(I bought the pair for $600 and they were like new). Of course, you will need some kind of 500 rack to use them, but there are lots of options there. Don't just get one with 2 or 3 slots as the 500 platform is fantastic for adding all sorts of "goodness" to your setup. I had the 581 pair, a Vintech 573 pair, a Five Fish X-12 pair and a Retro Double-wide in mine and miss all of them

Quick followup, there is a Reverb.com listing for 1 at $299, but that seller has a pair.

Thank you