Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 01-21-2022, 11:21 AM

Default Core Audio Not Responding, Kernal Panics- Any Updates?

Myself like a lot of you carbon users are experiencing issues with audio over AVB. (Intel mac mini os 10.15.7 - PT 2021.10)

My machine runs HOT as soon as the cat6 is connected to the carbon and in Activity Monitor you get the "Core Audio" not responding, Kernal Panics, large cpu usage, Dodgy behavior when switching between PT playback then youtube, spotify or any core audio task. I get random terribly distorted audio. Youtube does it the most often. And of course, you have to disable turbo boost in PT because the fans come on immediately when the Carbon is connected.

I'm still on Catalina because updating my OS is a pain and I'm super busy. Also from all accounts Big Sur has it's own share of problems. I know there's some ambiguous mentions that there were audio over AVB "improvements" in Big Sur but I can't find and solid documentation of what those were.

Where are you guys at right now and what are you experiencing?

Last edited by GroovnD313; 01-22-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Core Audio Not Responding, Kernal Panics- Any Updates?

I'm assuming you mean AVB not AVP. You don't provide detailed system specs - which Mac Mini, which CPU??

If you have a low powered Intel machine or an Intel laptop, you will get fan noise. There's nothing you can do about it. BigSur doesn't fix the issue.

M1 machines seem to cope with AVB a bit better, probably because they don't get as hot, not because the underlying problem goes away.

I use a Mac Pro 7.1 on Catalina, which stays quiet, but has the problems you describe - coreaudiod is red and clearly the CPU is cranked up just having the Carbon connected (idle goes from 90w to 140w). But the fans are so big and quiet it doesn't make any difference.

I also use an M1 Max on Monterey, and that is fine, but that's a very cool CPU anyway.

I don't have any of the distortion that you talk about, but I use a different interface for system tasks. I let PT "own" the Carbon and have an RME Babyface for other stuff. The Carbon works ok for system stuff once PT is shut down though.

Dominic
Old 01-22-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I use a Mac Pro 7.1 on Catalina, which stays quiet, but has the problems you describe - coreaudiod is red and clearly the CPU is cranked up just having the Carbon connected (idle goes from 90w to 140w). But the fans are so big and quiet it doesn't make any difference.
Similar issues with non-Carbon AVB interfaces on Mac Pro 7.1 and Catalina.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:09 PM

This coreaudiod (Not Responding) bug is not going away it seems. System still is overheating with Carbon and CPU is spiking randomly under load on a session. Maybe it's time to ditch the Intel Mac and go M1X? Does every Carbon using have this error? Thanks