Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 AM

Default HDX card not recognized

I had some sort of event last week, which I originally thought was a dying SSD. After almost a week of trying to get my system boot disk back together I'm slowly getting back to normal, and it's been a royal PITA. I have my Mac Pro 5,1 running High Sierra and PT Ultimate 2019.5 as it had been happily since 2019.5 became available. At this point there is only my 1TB SSD in the computer, my HDX card and my video card. The system will run PTHD as a native program but is not recognizing my HDX card or my HD IO.

Here are the steps I've taken:

Reset SCM or SMC, or whatever it is.
Reset PRAM several times
Trashed PT Prefs using PT Prefs 2
Trashed DigiDal.kext
Reinstalled the HD driver 2019.5 many times
Reinstalled the entire PTHD Ultimate package
All my iLok permissions are correct

At one point About This Mac System Report said "driver installed: yes" but that changed to no shortly afterwards, and has stayed no. Is there a way to uninstall the driver? I'm not seeing one. I also thought about uninstalling old versions of PTHD, of which there is at least one - version 10 which I don't need. I don't know how to do that thoroughly-is there an uninstaller somewhere? Any other thoughts? Is my card toast?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Re: HDX card not recognized

Did you upgrade the firmware on the HDX card? 2019.5 requires a firmware upgrade on the HDX cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Truthfully, I don't remember, although the system worked fine for a couple of weeks before the mishap.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:05 AM

I would try resetring the HDX card into a different pcie slot as that did the trick for us before getting our trashcan Mac Pros so maybe try that first.

After switching slot do a PRAM reset and see if that works.

I would also make sure that the HD driver is uninstalled correctly with the uninstaller innthe HD Driver folder and restart computer and then run the HD Driver installer found in your Avid account.

And if prompted after moving the card and reinstalling the HD driver to do the firmware update press OK or Yes on that window.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM

I think Christopher is on the right path, but AFAIK with recent installs there is no HD driver uninstaller still provided.

What I would do at least is manually uninstall the DigiDal (aka HD) kext/driver...

In Terminal.app type the following commands:

sudo kextunload -b com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal
sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

(be super careful to type those exact commands, especially the rm command, enter your password when prompted).

Then I'd reboot just for the heck of it and install the HD driver again. Using a new downloaded installer.

Another user here recently reported problems which removing this driver and reinstalling seemed to fix, although it's not perfectly clear to me all the things that happened/were done.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:34 PM

I haven't been able to find an uninstaller. I did trash the DigiDal.kext manually from the applications library, not the terminal.
Thank you, all.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmintz View Post
I haven't been able to find an uninstaller. I did trash the DigiDal.kext manually from the applications library, not the terminal.
Thank you, all.
That should work, especially if you emptied trash and rebooted, but it is safer to do what I suggested, I want to make sure there is no driver (kext) remaining running in the kernel. Just deleting the driver image on disk does not guarantee that.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:30 PM

I'll try again through the terminal. BTW, I uninstalled 2019.5 and reinstalled 2018.12. Made no difference.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 AM

I deleted the driver in the terminal and it made no difference. I'm going to try another slot and see if that helps.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM

Before reseating the card, it might be a good idea to wipe the connectors clean with some industrial alcohol -- just to have a good contact