Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-02-1999, 10:42 AM

Default SampleCell Crash!!! Help!!!!!

Please let me know if ANYBODY is having a problem with Sample Cell II
crashing after you have backed up a file (saved with all the sounds to respective
folders)and then moved it off of your HD. Upon restoring the files (along with
respective samples) whenever I try to open up a file, SC will tell me that it has
"Found the sample in another location, would you like for me to retrieve it?" and
when I say yes, it proceeds to try and load... and right in the middle of loading
the samples and instruments, POW!!! Not only does Sample Cell crash, but it
locks up the whole G3 Minitower!!! I have had this problem more than once, and it
really is annoying, as I cannot open a file to work on. Is there a way to save a
bank, instruments, and samples in a way that you can back up your HD, then
replace them in another location on the HD, open up the file and not have the
program, or whole computer crash!??? Please help, as I really need to open this
file!!!!!

[This message has been edited by gqkelly (edited 07-02-99).]
Old 07-04-1999, 12:49 AM

Default Re: SampleCell Crash!!! Help!!!!!

I have had this problem and it drove me nuts. Then it went away misteriously. . .
What probably happened was that I ran Techtools Pro and had all my disks checked (which I do about once a week) or I zapped the P-RAM:
start the Mac, press and hold command/option plus R and P and wait until the Mac has started a few times on its own. Then let go of the four keys and let the Mac start up. With older systems that also got rid of many control panel settings, so you had to reset them manually. Nowadays with 8.5.1 it doesn't seem so bad anymore, so I do it more often.

Let me know if this works, as I failed to catch the actual reason for my SCell's recovery. I'm sure everybody else will be interested, too.

Good luck,

tonemeister
Old 07-06-1999, 05:40 PM
Administrator

No, running either disk de-fragmenting software or diagnostic software from Norton or Tech Tool Pro will not damage your authorizations. I use both parts of both programs all the time.
I would post your oringinal question in the SampleCell Forum, however, if you have not already done so.

Bruce Paine
eMarketing
Old 07-07-1999, 12:37 AM

Do I have to De-Authorize ProTools "Key" each time I run Norton, or Techtools HD scan?

[This message has been edited by gqkelly (edited 07-06-99).]