Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2021, 09:21 AM

Default New Computer, New Opening Error Message

Good morning, and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year to all... So I got a new Microsoft desktop, 32 gig ram. If I need to post a Sandra Report for this, I'll figure out how to do that.. So, after I've downloaded from my Avid account the PT 2018.4 and there was no problem with the download, i restarted the computer and I hit the button to open'er up... And surprise, I got this error message..

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\Code\222370\ProTools\AAE\Source\AAX\CFicAAXWid get.cpp",line 822.

This was the initial time I was trying to open up the program.. I appreciate anyone having thoughts as to what I need to do..

Thank you so much, Rich
Old 12-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Re: New Computer, New Opening Error Message

When you get an assert Google the error message, especially file name. You will find past threads on DUC in this case. I’ll leave you to do that search for yourself.

And yes if you want help, provide the expected info. Windows version, esp. in this case… interface you are trying to use and driver version… and yes if you are running on Windows you should be able to produce a Sandra report without thinking about it.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Good advice from Darryl. Taking it a bit further, since the message addresses drive E:, what is drive E:? How is it formatted? What happens if you disconnect that drive? Troubleshooting is not always obvious or easy for everyone, so my best advice is: break things down to the least number of things needed to give the most basic function and test that configuration. If it works as expected, then add back something that was removed and test again. Be methodical and take notes because that kind of information helps us help you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2021, 01:45 PM

Which OS build are you using? Chances are your W10 build is too new. Compatibility info here.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Good advice from Darryl. Taking it a bit further, since the message addresses drive E:, what is drive E:? How is it formatted? What happens if you disconnect that drive? Troubleshooting is not always obvious or easy for everyone, so my best advice is: break things down to the least number of things needed to give the most basic function and test that configuration. If it works as expected, then add back something that was removed and test again. Be methodical and take notes because that kind of information helps us help you
Drive E: here is irrelevant. This is an assert message, the file path is automatically generated at compile time at Avid. This is the full path of the source code file the ASSERT macro is in, it has nothing to do with the computer Pro Tools is running on.

This ASSERT has a lot of past posts about it, and an Avid Knowledge Base article and typically is easy to resolve. It does not deserve yet another thread on DUC about this, unless all that existing easily found info is not solving this problem.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:17 PM

I did check out the other posts and there's lots of talk about Asio4all.. I remember buying a one time incident code when I first got the laptop I've been using, and I remember the person installing the Asio4all drivers.. I'm gonna figure it out.. Albee, you made me wonder which drive the E drive is?? I have three External drives, one of which is the main drive I record too. Thank you everyone for directions to take.. I'm not on that rig at the moment, but I may just get a Sandra report put together and post it. Take care
Old 12-27-2021, 06:32 PM

That specific error is typically solved with info from this KB article. Please let us know if that doesn't help.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:28 AM

As per the article Jeffro referenced, ASIO4ALL or ASIO4ALL2 is not supported by Avid. It's just a "band aid" that let's Pro Tools see an onboard soundcard as if it was an ASIO device.

Do you have an audio interface? If not, you really need one with proper ASIO drivers.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction