Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-30-2021, 06:19 AM

Default Paying for something I cant have

I got a subscription to Pro Tools for editing sound for video. I now have a M1 Mac and Pro Tools has been useless to me because the video engine doesn't work on my M1 Mac. I am a college student with almost no money and Avid wants me to continue paying for another 6 months for this product that doesn't work for me. It seems odd and I get that I signed up with their binding no termination contract w/e u wanna call it. But for a case like this where Pro Tools is now truly useless to me for the reason I bought it, cant someone just help me out with this and cancel my subscription? Is it that important that I have to follow this no termination contract and keep paying?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Paying for something I cant have

Why didn't you read this https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ig-Sur-Support before you bought a M1 Mac?

Why should they stop a subscription cause you bought the wrong Mac?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:56 AM

Because I didn't know that page existed Wolfgang. I am not claiming to be an expert at these things. But thank you.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:58 AM

Anyways they just cancelled it so never mind I guess we can close this thread but I don't know how...
Old 07-30-2021, 07:53 AM

You can roll back to version 2021.3.1 and you will get your video engine back. Seems to be the going consensus for M1 users, including myself. It's also more stable in other area of the software. 2021.6, despite being the first version to "officially" support M1, is actually not the most stable as reported by many users here and elsewhere.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM

dood, its no different than buying a truck and then finding out it doesnt fit in your garage.......who's fault is it?..........obviously AVID has trouble with these constant curve balls from Apple, but if its mission critical, you gotta read a bit first.....
Old 07-30-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
dood, its no different than buying a truck and then finding out it doesnt fit in your garage.......who's fault is it?..........obviously AVID has trouble with these constant curve balls from Apple, but if its mission critical, you gotta read a bit first.....

Any developer that produces software for an Apple product has the ability to be involved in the beta process far before an product gets released to the public. I know for a fact that the video engine did not change dramatically during the beta process. In this case it seems like Avid did not make the necessary programming decisions regarding the video engine. This could be because of their resources, or any number of reasons.

However it was not because of "constant curve balls from Apple".
No interface (yet)
Old 07-30-2021, 01:48 PM

Looks like Avid did the right thing!
Anyways they just cancelled it so never mind…”
Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
You can roll back to version 2021.3.1 and you will get your video engine back. Seems to be the going consensus for M1 users, including myself. It's also more stable in other area of the software. 2021.6, despite being the first version to "officially" support M1, is actually not the most stable as reported by many users here and elsewhere.
Does not matter which version, M1 does not yet support video engine. We need PT to run natively on Apple Silicon before that happens.