Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Little utility to delete session backups (Mac)

Cool idea. Not sure why you’re getting so much resistance to a free utility that some might find useful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 AM

If you notice the utility "delete protools preferences" is a staple for a lot of users for years. Your utility is a solution for a problem that does not now exist. In fact it can potentially be dangerous for file management and session recovery issues. For no gain other than maybe OCD issues about old files on a hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
If you notice the utility "delete protools preferences" is a staple for a lot of users for years. Your utility is a solution for a problem that does not now exist. In fact it can potentially be dangerous for file management and session recovery issues. For no gain other than maybe OCD issues about old files on a hard drive.
i don΄t understand why you insinuate that I have OCD issues? Is that your way of talking with people in general?

btw: Most obsessive-compulsive disorder behaviors are associated with concern for danger or risk. And that's not me who΄s worried about file management and session recovery issues. I know what I do when I use applications. I know that deleting these files does nothing with PT file management (you know you can opt-out session file auto backup functionality?).

However, don't use it, simple as that.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 AM

Geez... I have seldomly seen this much push back for a free app. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Not sure whether I would use this app as I’m more of a OCH (oppressive compulsive horder) when it comes to backups files and tib-bits, but I appreciate your time and effort in putting this app together that others may well find very useful.... thanks for sharing.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-26-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
i don΄t understand why you insinuate that I have OCD issues? Is that your way of talking with people in general?

btw: Most obsessive-compulsive disorder behaviors are associated with concern for danger or risk. And that's not me who΄s worried about file management and session recovery issues. I know what I do when I use applications. I know that deleting these files does nothing with PT file management (you know you can opt-out session file auto backup functionality?).

However, don't use it, simple as that.
I'm not insinuating anything. I pointed out that your app could help with that. Not in a clinical medical sense because I'm not a doctor. But simply like I stated. A solution looking for a problem.

In fact your suggestion to opt out of auto session file backups is probably a better way to not have extra sessions files. Lol.

You need slightly thicker skin. It's just a tech forum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 PM

I think this boils down to two groups: people who've seen their projects ruined by the accidental deletion of a file which was initially thought to be unimportant, and those who've not seen such a thing.

I've been witness to more such situations than I could ever possibly remember, and as a side effect became intensely familiar with file recovery utilities, so I understand those who think, 'why on Earth would anyone delete a "backup?'"

Don't do that. Not because you'll most likely never need those files, but because you can't predict the events which would force you to wish they were still there. As someone else said, the sum total of all of your PT session backups is relatively zero.

So why the forceful posts from some? Because no one who's been through this wants to see another person go through it. Listen to them. This thread passively suggests that it's a thing worth considering, but it's not. Nothing person to the OP. It's simply not wise file management.