Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Default possible to control pro tools from a remote desktop?

I've done some research, but haven't been able to find much info on this subject. I have a recording studio a few miles from my house, and just got a brand new Sony Vail laptop. I was trying to find the easiest way to get pro tools on my laptop just so I could work on mixes at home and on the road, I have no need to record on the laptop. I was wondering if instead of installing pro tools on my laptop, and buying a seperate audio interface and having to copy sessions back and forth from laptop to studio computer, if it would he possible to set up a remote desktop program on the studies system, and access it from my laptop at home to run pro tools and do mixes. That way I could access all the sessions on my studio system, all the plug ins, and when I save a session it will save right to the studio system. Does anyone have any experience with remote desktops? Do they react fast enough to run sessions from? Do they have limitations as far as what programs I can run on the host computer? Basically I was hoping that I could open the remote desktop program on my laptop, see the host computer, and use everything exactly how I would if I were at the studio. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance for any help or info. I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before but I wasn't able to locate it.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Re: possible to control pro tools from a remote desktop?

You could try LogMein Pro and see if the audio works well enough for you. It's about $70 a year.
https://secure.logmein.com/compariso...arisonFPP.aspx

If you install the free version (LogMein Free) I believe it will ask you if you want a 14 day trial of the Pro version, so this shouldn't cost you anything to see if it works. I'm a little skeptical... but you never know.

I use LogMein Free a lot to support family and friends computer systems, great product.

Steve
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM

I think your biggest problem is getting your studio PC on the internet and working correctly with Pro Tools. Unless you're planning to have a non-internet dedicated line from home to the studio I wouldnt attempt it. Just my 2c.
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 AM

I already have my studio system on the internet. I know its not a greasy idea but I'm extremely careful with downloads. I've got a router with my internet and control 24 plugged in and everything works great. My main concern i guess would be finding a program that can tender the graphics fast enough to rum a remote session.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM

What about gotomypc?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM

There's a ton of remote desktop apps out there. I was just wondering if anyone had any experienced running pro tools on one. Ill try out a few and let you guys know how they work. Are they all pretty much the same? Or is there anything spicific I should look for.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM

So I tried out a few remote desktop programs. And if you worked really well, especially the app teamviewer. But none of them were able to play audio from the host computer which is an issue. I found out windows 7 has a remote desktop client till 10 but I could not find out how to hook it up but I do know that it does support audio. Has anyone used it before or does anyone know how to set it up? Or does anybody know of a different program that also supports audio? You guys have all been extremely helpful, and I really appreciate it thank you!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 PM

I use team viewer a lot and it's great. But I don't see how you would be able to connect the out of your audio interface to listen back at you house without using some kind of dedicated line and a converters on both sided. I used ISDN back in the day... Still I wouldn't go mixing on that kind of scenario anyway. Audio quality might be too poor and the cost too high to justify this.

Get an external drive for sessions and a micro type audio interface and mix in the cans. If you must.

BTW PT 9 might be able to support your laptop's internal sound if it has ASIO drivers...
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.TweekStudios View Post
So I tried out a few remote desktop programs. And if you worked really well, especially the app teamviewer. But none of them were able to play audio from the host computer which is an issue. I found out windows 7 has a remote desktop client till 10 but I could not find out how to hook it up but I do know that it does support audio. Has anyone used it before or does anyone know how to set it up? Or does anybody know of a different program that also supports audio? You guys have all been extremely helpful, and I really appreciate it thank you!
LogMein Pro doesn't support audio? In their comparison chart of their different versions they have a checkbox in the "Audio" category.

On Windows 7 , remote desktop, go to the Control Panel (on the host) "System", "Remote Settings", "Remote Desktop". Check one of the "Allow connections..". On the client run the "Remote Desktop Connection" application (under "Options", "Local Experience", "Remote audio" "Settings" check "Play on this computer". You'll have to be able to directly connect to the host computer for this to work (versus apps like Logmein and GotoMyPC)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 PM

They advertoze logmein pro as having audio but when I downloaded it and tested it I couldn't Get it to work. Turns out that its not as easy as just logging in and linking the two computers, there's a big work around for the audio. I'm gonna give the Microsoft remote desktop a test tonight and see if I can get it up and running.