Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2022, 08:01 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
but screws up on Thunderbolt 4 having a single lane issue.
What do you mean by that, Darryl? I've not been following any single lane issues.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
What do you mean by that, Darryl? I've not been following any single lane issues.
Lots of useful explanations in the article, but the "issue" in the article that seems to claim that Thunderbolt 4 storage degrades down to single PCIe lane is kinda overbown.. that's might happen if you run it the other side of a hub, depends on the hub internal PCIe topology. Nobody is going to put their high performance NVMe SSD downstream of a hub... especially on a Mac Studio where there are so many Thunderbolt 4 ports, just connect your Thunderbolt storage up to a port and are done. It does not matter that the Mac is Thunderbolt 4 and any NVMe storage Thunderbolt 3 (today) and maybe we'll see Thunderbolt 4 in future. (and you largely avoid trying to chain NVMe SSD Thunderbolt storage.. It's so fast if you have enough ports then put one box per Thunderbolt bus).

The article maybe could have also pointed out some USB storage devices are NVMe based (the Samsung T7 is an rare example example, think of NVMe as just the storage command language that talk to the device, very well optimized for SSDs... actually originally developed by Intel for what became Optane persistent memory... not exactly a success... but thanks for the NVMe Intel).
Old 05-04-2022, 12:43 AM

Ah, yes, that's not likely to be an issue for those who put some basic thought into their configuration. Though, hub retailers do often advertise their products in a way that could make people think that *anything* can be attached to the hub without performance degradation.

This is just one of the countless ways that can bog down a studio, and lead to a difficult-to-solve post on this forum. Is "PT System Designer" a thing? Are there people getting paid to create, refine and troubleshoot ProTools rigs? People who spot things like USB drives too far downstream, or buggy keyboard extension cables, or (pick from 1,000 other things)?
Old 05-04-2022, 05:35 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Ah, yes, that's not likely to be an issue for those who put some basic thought into their configuration. Though, hub retailers do often advertise their products in a way that could make people think that *anything* can be attached to the hub without performance degradation.

This is just one of the countless ways that can bog down a studio, and lead to a difficult-to-solve post on this forum. Is "PT System Designer" a thing? Are there people getting paid to create, refine and troubleshoot ProTools rigs? People who spot things like USB drives too far downstream, or buggy keyboard extension cables, or (pick from 1,000 other things)?
Good points, Eric. I suspect we'll converge on some general wisdom on system configuration over time. Right now, it's the bleeding edge and the more analytical among us will step in the potholes until we get it right.

Quick change of topic. My acquisition of the M1Max laptop turns out to be fortuitous. I managed to bust my foot, so I'm stuck in my chair for a while with the M1 in my lap. I did a session yesterday of about two hours on battery alone. A lot of RX and some Pro Tools. Used only about 20% of the battery and the computer was barely warm (completely comfortable in my lap). Didn't hear the fans. My old i9 would have been drained in half an hour, hot to the touch, and whooshing like a turbojet. Given that the main part of this laptop is exactly the same as the Studio Max, this promises much lower power bills, reduced heat, and the opportunity to have the computer right there in the control room.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ugh I just saw that. It's mostly a good article but screws up on Thunderbolt 4 having a single lane issue. That just won't affect folks in practice here, at best it should be a minor footnote. You think they would provide a link to contact/email the author.
Thanks. I found the article helpful but I got a bit confused about T4.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Good points, Eric. I suspect we'll converge on some general wisdom on system configuration over time. Right now, it's the bleeding edge and the more analytical among us will step in the potholes until we get it right.

Quick change of topic. My acquisition of the M1Max laptop turns out to be fortuitous. I managed to bust my foot, so I'm stuck in my chair for a while with the M1 in my lap. I did a session yesterday of about two hours on battery alone. A lot of RX and some Pro Tools. Used only about 20% of the battery and the computer was barely warm (completely comfortable in my lap). Didn't hear the fans. My old i9 would have been drained in half an hour, hot to the touch, and whooshing like a turbojet. Given that the main part of this laptop is exactly the same as the Studio Max, this promises much lower power bills, reduced heat, and the opportunity to have the computer right there in the control room.
Glad to hear about the laptop. Sorry to hear about the foot!
Old 05-05-2022, 05:49 AM

4 May 22 Mac Studio Ultra (MSU) report - yesterday was the first day of hard labor for the MSU. 148 tracks using Elastic Audio/tempo change. What was stunning was the difference between MSU and my old 5.1's. MSU rendered changes and analyzed all the tracks quicker than I could see it. Where there were progress bars and greyed out tracks for a few minutes (go make coffee for big sessions!) in the past it was all done instantly. Strange!

I didn't look at the Activity Monitor but, again, there was barely any sign of life on the wretched Pro Tools System Usage monitor.

There was only one virtual instrument track - Ivory via Vienna Ensemble Pro. When first instantiated I saw a flash of yellow bars in the System Usage monitor which vanished quickly.

MSU never got warm. Not a peep out of any of the fans that I could hear. Sonnet Echo Dual NVMes were a bit warmer than air temperature.

I'm still on 2021.12. So far so very good!
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 05-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Development Partner

I just learned that simply having an application ported to M1 Native is not a guarantee of improved performance. It depends on how the application is ported. I just took a shot at a video transcode using Handbrake (I'm sure many of you know it). It dragged on, taking forever for a simple SD video. The fans started to spin up and were quite audible.

I launched Activity Monitor to see what was going on. The activity was entirely in the CPU cores. None of the 32 GPUs was touched, despite the fact that there's specific graphics encode/decode logic built into the GPUs. This port was clearly a quick-and-dirty port with no use of the Apple Metal framework (or even openGL, which is still there).

Although this is a graphics application, there are some pretty nice graphics in a lot of DAWs and plugins. Are they using the Metal framework? I think this underscores the fact that simply porting isn't enough (in the case of Handbrake it was even worse). M1 provides a lot of resources and a good port must take advantage of everything there.

Moving fully to this new world is going to take a while.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 AM

Mmm, I have used Handbrake on my MS Ultra to transcode a few videos for use in ProToolUlti. Absolutely ripped though the processes like I've never seen before. No fans etc etc.
I am certainly not on a tech level like yourself Michael, just merely reporting my observations.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 05-05-2022, 08:39 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Mmm, I have used Handbrake on my MS Ultra to transcode a few videos for use in ProToolUlti. Absolutely ripped though the processes like I've never seen before. No fans etc etc.
I am certainly not on a tech level like yourself Michael, just merely reporting my observations.
Very interesting. Must have been the specific format.