Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Preview on Selection

Hello everyone,

I don't know specifically where my I should post my thread, but I figured this S6 forum would do since I mix on the S6 everyday.

I'm sure everyone here uses the "Preview" button to some degree, but there is one particular feature I feel would be game changing (or at least in my mind anyways), is to preview on selection.

Current workflow:
Soundbite A, B and C within a 1-sec from each other. I need to EQ soundbite B. Press "Preview", EQ soundbite B and then write automation.

What I always encounter is that I would want to listen to soundbite A, B, and C seamlessly all in one take. As you all know, by pressing "Preview" any EQ automation you're trying to preview on soundbite B, will latch to soundbite A, and C, and then goes away once you write automation in soundbite B.

Workaround for me would to put soundbite B on a different track so I can listen to it all seamlessly with their own automation. Now I believe I can use "punch preview" while rolling, but once its selected it's difficult to audition my automation if I don't want to commit to it. So these two options are clearly inefficient for me and not very practical for mixing.

Now my idea would be to allow the user to go into "preview", EQ soundbite B, than make a selection on soundbite A and C without it affecting it's current automation. Or somehow make a selection on soundbite B, EQ, and be able to activate pre/post roll without affecting it's current automation. The idea is to automate soundbite B, while retaining sound bite A and C automation in one track in "preview" mode.

Now if there is already a feature like this, than I guess I wasted my time writing this post Feel free to let me know if there is another way to tackle this because I would love your guys input.

Thank you all!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Preview on Selection

Not sure if I understand correctly what you want to do but there is a preview suspend button to compare automation preview and written automation before punching in.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:36 AM

I now what you mean. But I just write quickly it for that. If I don't like it, I hit undo.
The fastest for me is to select my bite b, hit dynamic transport and preview. find the nice setting for that slice, hit wirte to all (writes only to my slected slice b) and then listen back, starting at slice a.
If I need to adjust, I start over with selecing slice b. sounds like a lot of button pressing, but's actually quite fast. (also taking a snapshot is sometimes a good idea, if I need the same settings in other slices).
Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 AM

I understand exactly what you are asking and I think it is a great idea. If you are EQing against something that is on the same track - I would like to just hear the preview on the selection so I can tell how I am affecting the audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
I now what you mean. But I just write quickly it for that. If I don't like it, I hit undo.
The fastest for me is to select my bite b, hit dynamic transport and preview. find the nice setting for that slice, hit wirte to all (writes only to my slected slice b) and then listen back, starting at slice a.
If I need to adjust, I start over with selecing slice b. sounds like a lot of button pressing, but's actually quite fast. (also taking a snapshot is sometimes a good idea, if I need the same settings in other slices).
Denver, CO
Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic7 View Post
Now my idea would be to allow the user to go into "preview", EQ soundbite B, than make a selection on soundbite A and C without it affecting it's current automation. Or somehow make a selection on soundbite B, EQ, and be able to activate pre/post roll without affecting it's current automation. The idea is to automate soundbite B, while retaining sound bite A and C automation in one track in "preview" mode.
I practically live in Preview mode. I see where you are going with this. I would love to see Preview expanded with more options.

Here's an idea- maybe they could add an option for Preview to only affect a selection, but that selection could be made after playback starts?

1. set left and right locators to cover A, B, and C; start playback
2. make a selection only over B, engage Preview
3. tweak, apply changes to B

Currently, I'm doing a similar workaround to you. I always have extra tracks handy, so it's easy to drag sound B to a different track, then tweak B in Preview while still hearing no changes to A and C on the old track. Apply, then drag B back up to the original track (automation follows event).

That workaround doesn't work too great if you have a bunch of inserts to monitor on that original track. So the other thing you could do is duplicate the entire track, delete sounds A and C on the new track and B from the old track. Follow the steps above, then after you drag B up to the original track, delete the entire duplicated track. (its faster than it sounds)
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 02-01-2018, 05:10 PM

I am so glad to see this idea come back to life. I was shouting about this in 2014 and didn't get any traction:

Optionally restrict Preview automation to selection only:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

"While in Preview mode, Pro Tools would restrict playback of the changed automation parameters to the selection only. If no selection has been made, Preview would function the usual way. With a selection, the underlying automation would play during pre-roll, then switch to the Preview automation, and switch out during post-roll. Would be useful for ADR dialog matching."

My current workaround is to bang on the Suspend Preview key during playback and hope that my timing isn't awful.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 AM

Great idea!

Reminds me of something I was thinking about the other day,
as I am constantly switching between preview and touch mode:
what a time saver it would be, if you could only put certain tracks into preview mode.
For example have all audio tracks in preview to eq parts of a scene, but have the vca`s in touch or latch mode to write volume automation.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 PM

Whew! I thought I was the only crazy one with that feature request. Well, I'm glad there are other mixers out that would like this feature implemented in Pro Tools.

Avid, the ball is in your court. Make it happen and impress us for 2018.