Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Old Schooler going to from G3 to G4

Any worries going from a Beige G3 (that works flawlessly) to a G4 Sawtooth Mac? I just want to be ahead of the game... I have to many projects right now for this to get all screwed up. Am using OMS with Opcode Sutdio 5lx and Digi 001 card. Ultra wide SCSI 10k rpm cheeta drives (3) with factory installed Scsi controller. Would like to install 2nd PCI video card for 2nd monitor support. Using os 9.1 right now on G3 but would lke to go to 9.2.2. I Have 9.1 and 9.2 Mac OS. What should I use. Also I never updated from my 5.0 LE software. Digi owes me an upgrade. Any suggestions.
-Robert [email protected]
Old 04-10-2002, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Old Schooler going to from G3 to G4

Wow, well you've got to get to PTLE 5.1.1 - the additions since 5.0 are worth it.

The only problem I see is that you're going to need a SCSI card if the one in your G3 isn't removable, and I think the only supported SCSI cards for ProTools systems are the ATTO cards, but maybe Adaptec is back in the picture - check the compatibility docs for more info: compato docs

You're also going to need a serial port adaptor for your Opcode Studio 5lx, since the new macs no longer have a serial port. Check out www.geethree.com and www.griffintechnology for adaptors that will turn your modem port into a serial port (hope you're not planning on using that internal modem!)

There's been lots of talk about PCI video cards for second monitors, use the search function and you'll find all you need on that topic.

For the OS I would go with the best you've got, I use 9.2.1 and have zero problems. I remember there being some issues with 9.2.2 when it first came out, but haven't heard any gripes in a while - this is also covered in other posts, so again, try the search function.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:20 PM

im sorry i didnt make it clear about the scsi cards...in my G3 right now is a Initio Ultra wide Scsi card and in the G4 right now is the factory installed ATTO card. Long story short for my 5.0le ... I forgot to register and missed out i guess. I emailed digi customer support and i hope they honor my registration late. They have taken care of me before. In 98 I bought a MIX5.0 system with an 882 and sold that system in 2000 to guy in LA. The 001 system is not a "cool" as the MIX system was and I dont have TDM anymore but with the newer G4 its almost the same thing now. Anyhow... I hope they update me to 5.1. thanks for the reply.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:24 AM

no worrrys bother you will be fine go get that g4 more power [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2002, 02:59 AM

I made exactly the same move two years ago (except for the OS, I'm sticking with OS9.1): I got tones of problems !
My former G3 had an Initio SCSI UWII, I had to put an Adaptec PowerDomain 29160 in the G4 (the initio wasn't compatible)->all my SCSI drives had been formatted with tools other than ATTO Express Protools. When switching to the G4, none of them were recognized by PT as "valid audio drive"...(when they were, using the initio card with PT...).
I had to reformat using ATTO (now, if you've used that tool with your existing drives, you should be OK).
When switching comp. , I was still in 5.0 (5.1.1 wasn't available at the time)...later on, I upgraded to 5.1.1.
I suddenly had many problems with one of my IDE drives. I had to reinitialize&reformat this one too...
I'm not saying "don't do this!"; I've done it and everything was back to normal after a few weeks and working faster than with the G3. I'm just saying: back up as much as you can before switching and make sure you have enough drives to be able to copy datas from one to another in case one of them would suddenly become "invalid" as far as PT's concerned.
Good luck and good faster work !...

PS: I wouldn't personnally upgrade to 9.2.
9.1 works perfectly, 9.2 hasn't brought real improvements but has been known to be a troublemaker for many people on this DUC...You'll have enough work switching to a new machine (+ the twin view thing) and to a newer PT version without taking the risk to change the OS (assuming you were working with 9.1 on the G3). Later on, maybe, when everything will be OK with the machine, the OS and PT...
My small experience tells me : don't make too many changes on you comp. at the same time-> if you get into troubles, you won't be able to tell which change is the cause.
Just my opinion.