Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 09:46 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default MIDI newbie- General question...

Soon I'll be getting a Triton rack. Since I'll be using a keyboard controller (the new Radium from m-audio) I have a few general questions. The controller has two MIDI outs in addition to a USB MIDI out. Supposedly you're able to control your hardware synths and softsynths at the same time w/o repatching. The only software I'll be worrying about controlling (at first) is the Native Instruments PT Edition (RTAS).
Am I right in assuming that since the synths are RTAS, I should forget about controlling them via USB and use the MIDI interface on the 001? How exactly does this USB control of MIDI thing work?
Another question would be, is this right: to record MIDI out of the Triton- Radium MIDI out > to Triton MIDI in, Triton MIDI out (or thru?) > 001 MIDI in. Then would I have to switch it up to sequence from PT: 001 MIDI out > Triton MIDI in? Also is everyone still selecting the Trinity in OMS (since OMS was out before the Triton). How much of a chore is it to configure OMS w/ all the correct patches for the Triton ('cause I'm sure the Triton has some patches that the Trinity didn't).
Wow, I guess it was quite a few questions!
Thanks everyone for your help... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:11 PM

Default Re: MIDI newbie- General question...

I haven't got a USB MIDI interface but from what I have read here, there is an issue with latency using USB MIDI devices.
If you only have the one MIDI controller, it is fine to have the controller connected to the 001.
This setup goes:
001(out)->radium(in)
radium(in)->001(out)

The radium may also (it appears) be used as a MIDI interface via USB. you could connect 2 other devices to the MIDI ins.
You set all this arrangement up in OMS. Havea read of the OMS section in the digi manual, it's very good.
I don't know if you've used the NI PT set, but you really should have a controller for it, sequencing by mouse is a drag.
When you set up the MIDI track for the NI synth, set the radium as the controller (MIDI in) and all is sweet. (don't forget to rec enable the midi track to play the synth tho)
Old 01-09-2003, 01:26 PM

i have been using the Unitor II usb with no more latency than the normal digi001 crap. i have a Roland XP60, yamaha, POD Pro and Mackie HUI in the chain. once (IF) PT 6.0 comes out for OSX at least OMS will go away..... hurray! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 08:37 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Thanks. FWIW, the Radium has only MIDI outs as it's only a controller.

...bumpissimo... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 04:52 PM

So nobody knows about OMS w/ the Triton rack (or any of the other questions), eh?

...bump (again)... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 05:38 PM

Concerning the Triton and OMS: I don't care about the patch names in OMS. I have a Triton Rack and I simply save all my settings as a "MULTI" set on a floppy disc. I change all my patches by just going to the Triton. It's pretty easy.

You may want to consider getting a MIDI interface, like a MOTU MIDI Express. This would make it possible to add other synths plus your controller. I like MOTU for MIDI interfaces. It's given me no problems.

Hope this can help in some way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 03:01 PM

Hi soundboy69,

With your controller, I'd use MIDI or USB, but not both. Otherwise you're going to create problems with parallel MIDI streams once you bring PT into the equation.

Personally, I've discovered no difference in performance between a USB interface (ie. built into your controller), or the Digi001's MIDI interface. Both are excellent (under minimal CPU load), and appalling (under heavy CPU load).

With any luck PT6.0, OS-X, and Digi's own MIDI Interface will make the situation better.

---------------------------------------------------

- For a traditional MIDI set-up, create 'new device' in OMS. Label it "Controller" (or whatever), and drag the icon onto the appropriate MIDI interface (eg. the Digi001 icon).

- For USB, you'll need to install the USB drivers (accompanying your controller or from the manufacturer site) to make it appear in OMS. That's all you have to do there.

- For USB or MIDI, be sure to check your controller as an "Input Device" (in ProTools, under the MIDI menu).

Now for the Triton Rack patch names,

- Your Triton must appear in OMS. N.B. Don't worry about the built-in manufacturer and model list. They're just names. OMS couldn'ty care less whether a Roland or Korg synth is at the end of the MIDI cable.

- In OMS, if you haven't a icon for your synth already, use the "add new device" option, chooose "other" from the manufacturer and model list, and later click on the icon's title, and label it "Triton Rack" (or whatever).

- Download the OMS Patch Name Document from the OMS Names Libraries .

- Place it here: System Folder>OMS>Factory Names

- In Pro Tools, in the "Setups" menu, choose "OMS Names".

- Click in the empty space in the "Patch Name Document" field.

- Choose "Subscribe" from the "Names" menu.

- Select the file your downloaded from the OMS Names Libraries site.

That should be all. Let me know if you're stuck.

Phil

PS. Anthemmusic,

Do you really not care about OMS Names, or have you just never seen it working? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Being able to switch banks from a drop-down menu, view 128 patch names at a time, and have the required patches automatically assign themselves everytime you launch the session, has got to be a good thing.

At least give it a go? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Phil,

Thanks for reminding me that I never really could get the OMS names to come up and was too busy to try and make it work! Deadlines caused me to just to just forget about it and do what was easiest.

Yes, it would be a good thing and I think I'll give it a try now that I have a little time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 01:45 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for your replies...
I've heard of some people using the Trinity patch names in OMS, but it's been awhile since the Trinity was introduced (and for OMS for that matter [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), but I've heard if you can get it to work it's cool (just laborious).
Anyone else have any suggestions on what might be the easiest way to go about this? Who's got the secret Triton/OMS hookup? If you hook me up w/ the secret knowledge, I'll take your name/ tel. number off my mad, telemarketing computer run amok. You know, the one that always calls at dinner time, or when you and the Mrs. are about to get busy... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
For real though, anyone that can help, will get good Karma streamed at them through fat T1 Karma pipes!
Thank you guys/ gals... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundboy69:
Hey guys! Thanks for your replies...
I've heard of some people using the Trinity patch names in OMS, but it's been awhile since the Trinity was introduced (and for OMS for that matter [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), but I've heard if you can get it to work it's cool (just laborious).
Anyone else have any suggestions on what might be the easiest way to go about this? Who's got the secret Triton/OMS hookup? If you hook me up w/ the secret knowledge, I'll take your name/ tel. number off my mad, telemarketing computer run amok. You know, the one that always calls at dinner time, or when you and the Mrs. are about to get busy... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
For real though, anyone that can help, will get good Karma streamed at them through fat T1 Karma pipes!
Thank you guys/ gals... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi soundboy69,

Huh? Did you not read my in-depth post above? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

No, don't call the Triton a Trinity in OMS. It's not a Trinity. Select 'other' in the make/model lists, then re-label the icon a "Triton". Done.

(N.B. If you use the "Trinity" default, you might end up with a whole heap of wrong preset names that don't even do anything.)

I also posted instructions for locating and attaching the "Triton" patch names to your OMS "Triton" device.

That's the way you do it. It's not difficult once you actually sit down and work through the instructions, and no, there's no other way (letalone an easier way) to do it.

Any probs, let me know.

Phil