Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Default Equality and PT 11.1.3

There is definitely a bug with Equality and PT 11.1.3 From time to time, Equality will stop reading automation all together for no apparent reason. The Equality interface shows that the EQ is on, bands are boosting or cutting, low pass, high pass etc.. and yet it simply does not read any of the EQ (it behaves as if it was either in bypass or no EQ had been written). The only way to correct this, is to close the session, quit PT, and re-boot PT. That fixes it all the time. This but also happened in PT 11.1 (I posted about it back then) when Equality failed to engage for a telephone filter (very obvious change), but when it is subtle EQ changes if Equality does not engage properly, it can be missed.

I have already pre-mixed the DX for this film with Equality, so I am stuck with it, and while I love the quality and ease of use of this plugin, this reliability issue forces me to stop using on future films until it is fixed.

If Dave is reading this, I can send you my session (without sound) to see if it is of any help to fix the problem (It may be Pro-Tools and not Equality, I don't know)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Equality and PT 11.1.3

I take it that the problem you had was a "High Pass " filter not engaging.
I too had that problem. When I did it wouldn't stay at a
24 db/ octave setting but would refer back to 12bd/ octave.
Dave did a fix and since then I haven't had any problem.
Try e-mailing him directly.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
I take it that the problem you had was a "High Pass " filter not engaging.
I too had that problem. When I did it wouldn't stay at a
24 db/ octave setting but would refer back to 12bd/ octave.
Dave did a fix and since then I haven't had any problem.
Try e-mailing him directly.
Yes, the high pass is a problem, but the entire plugin fails to engage from time to time. I will e-mail Dave because I really like this plugin and I want to keep on using if it is fixable.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Yes, the high pass is a problem, but the entire plugin fails to engage from time to time. I will e-mail Dave because I really like this plugin and I want to keep on using if it is fixable.
Having the same problem, will e-mail too. Thanks for the info Dr Sound.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:45 PM

there are other filter type related bugs as well, I think mainly in Equilibrium, where the type in the UI and auto lane would differ, I sent an email to Dave a while ago but haven't heard from him at all...?! No updates since Dec 2013!
I love these plugins but a bit of maintenance would be great!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 AM

With my workload I really can't wait for a fix, these not engaging errors are a huge problem for me. What do you guys think of Fab Filter Pro Q? is this a good alternative to Equality in therms of sound quality and also how does it tax the CPU?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
With my workload I really can't wait for a fix, these not engaging errors are a huge problem for me. What do you guys think of Fab Filter Pro Q? is this a good alternative to Equality in therms of sound quality and also how does it tax the CPU?
Thinking the same. I love their other plugs, especially Pro-DS. Going to demo their EQ.

I e-mailed Dave about a fix, silence. Guess he doesn't care too much. May ask for a refund now.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
...What do you guys think of Fab Filter Pro Q? is this a good alternative to Equality in therms of sound quality and also how does it tax the CPU?
Excellent plug; great GUI, very flexible, solid automation. I like it a lot, and it seems to be very light on CPU usage here.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
DMGAudio

Quote:
If Dave is reading this, I can send you my session (without sound) to see if it is of any help to fix the problem (It may be Pro-Tools and not Equality, I don't know)
Please do! Also, for faster responses, email me direct. I'm not sure what your real name is, but I don't have any mail that suggests it's from you.

Dave.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
DMGAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Thinking the same. I love their other plugs, especially Pro-DS. Going to demo their EQ.

I e-mailed Dave about a fix, silence. Guess he doesn't care too much. May ask for a refund now.

Current public beta: http://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/

This is indeed an update which fixes issues with automation related to recent changes in PT11. Dates to March this year.

Very few people have reported being affected by these automation issues, and anyone who has been affected, I've sent this build.

Unfortunately, likely due to how busy these users are, and how few in number, I don't seem to hear back from them as to whether
their issues are resolved. Anecdotally, I believe that this update (in conjunction with rebuilding any presets that manifest the behaviour), completely resolves all these issues. But since I don't have firm answers, I'm holding back from public release.

In any case, there is a fix, and it's linked above, and the only feedback I have is that it fixes the issue.
If anyone wants to confirm, that'd be greatly appreciated.

I've tried to get replies out within 24hrs, and I notice I'm about 6hrs late; I'm deep in a new product beta right now.

Best,

Dave.