Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Tracking in Logic...Mixing in PTools..Possible?

With a Control 24 in front of me, it's hard to even imagine leaving Pro Tools long...I've gotten to love this thing...but I'm interested in the concept of doing all the MIDI in Logic, and cutting the basic tracks of things there and then going to Pro Tools for vocals and mixing.

Does anyone have experience in taking a session started in Logic and somehow getting all those tracks into Pro Tools without headache? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Tracking in Logic...Mixing in PTools..Possible?

Depending on how you use midi, if you give pro tools a chance, you may find that you can use it for all your midi. Otherwise, you can track in Logic and import the tracks to pro tools but the easiest way to do this is to create full length files because Logic does not properly timestamp its audio. Or, you could do your midi in logic then import the midi files into pro tools.

But, why not give pro tools a chance and work with it a little. then if you need notation afterwards you can use something like sibelius.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:
Depending on how you use midi, if you give pro tools a chance, you may find that you can use it for all your midi. Otherwise, you can track in Logic and import the tracks to pro tools but the easiest way to do this is to create full length files because Logic does not properly timestamp its audio. Or, you could do your midi in logic then import the midi files into pro tools.

But, why not give pro tools a chance and work with it a little. then if you need notation afterwards you can use something like sibelius.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, I gave the wrong impression inadvertantly! I've been doing all my MIDI in Pro Tools for years...frankly, it's fine by me. I was thinking of Logic only because I'd like to start using KONTAKT, and the VST support for it in Logic seems less clunky than in PT. But getting the tracks over sounds like it might be trouble... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:
Otherwise, you can track in Logic and import the tracks to pro tools but the easiest way to do this is to create full length files because Logic does not properly timestamp its audio.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not quite right. Timestamping on aiff and wav files in not compatible between two programs. Timestamping on SDII files IS compatible. Logic and PT have different default SMPTE offsets, but this is easily corrected at either end, by either advancing 1 hour in PT or subtracting 1 hour in Logic.

btw, you might want to check out the available instruments from eMagic, along with the EXS24 sampler. The integration is amazing...doing software instruments is dead simple with Logic, although I have only used them under OSX so I can't comment on VST behavior.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:13 PM

I alway use Logic or DP3 to sequence midi and track instrument, then I mix in PT. It's Nothin. I just buss my modules from the console back into audio tracks in Logic, record them, and import them right into PT. Just make sure all of your audio tracks start at the same time. Any other way of doing this would be ridiculous because there is nothing easier.

L-Fire
EMO
Old 03-07-2003, 10:00 PM

If you set bit depth of the FreezeTracks files in Logic to 24 (or 16) instead of 32bit float, you easily export a whole song from Logic > PT . Just copy or rename the FreezeTracks files and import them into a PT session (FreezeTrack files are automatically deleted by Logic when you press the Freeze button again).

But since Freeze (faster than real time) doesn't work on TDM tracks in Logic, you have to move your takes from TDM- to DTDM tracks before you can freeze them this way.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nostatic:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:
Otherwise, you can track in Logic and import the tracks to pro tools but the easiest way to do this is to create full length files because Logic does not properly timestamp its audio.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not quite right. Timestamping on aiff and wav files in not compatible between two programs. Timestamping on SDII files IS compatible. Logic and PT have different default SMPTE offsets, but this is easily corrected at either end, by either advancing 1 hour in PT or subtracting 1 hour in Logic.

btw, you might want to check out the available instruments from eMagic, along with the EXS24 sampler. The integration is amazing...doing software instruments is dead simple with Logic, although I have only used them under OSX so I can't comment on VST behavior.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know what kind of situations you use your systems in but in a professional situation when you're under the gun I would not want to have to deal with the BS timestamping that Logic employs with SD II files. No matter here you think your file is stamped it always is actually stamped at zero. If you try and start a file at bar 1 it will actually have some extra time in front of the start time that you think it's starting at. So unless you start your files at ZERO bars and 1 beat which forces the file to start exactly there you'll an indeterminate amount of audio before the spot that you thought as the start time. A TRUE NIGHTMARE WHICH I HAVE LIVED THROUGH. Logic, although a useful tool is a TOY compared with pro tools. Logic is not ready for prime time not ready for the moments that you have a client breathing down your neck.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:16 AM

yeah yeah...you're the big pro. We all bow to you. Have you used Logic6? Did you ever do anything more than open up 5.5? Of course not...they are toys.

PT works for you and I"m happy...no really, it makes it much easier for me to sleep at night knowing that you have no LATENCY and aren't saddled with a TOY. But some people might want to play with TOYS like Logic and they deserve getting some accurate information as opposed to rants from a rabid Digi fan who might have used an old version of Logic years back. ymmv.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:16 AM

I do this all the time, because I need Logis's midi capaibilities and also some other functions like the better tempo resolution. It does take some time to transfer the files for mixing but I think it's worth the pain.
Lion
Old 03-08-2003, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lion:
I do this all the time, because I need Logis's midi capaibilities and also some other functions like the better tempo resolution. It does take some time to transfer the files for mixing but I think it's worth the pain.
Lion
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Guys, let me ask you something about this. So let's say I'm in Logic and I do a track that is punched in halfway through the song. When I go to export these tracks, is there a way to insure that all of these will line up in Pro Tools? Anyone who could really step me through this would be a hero. I used Logic years ago to sequence and really liked it a lot. But then I was using IAC to record in PT and sequence in Logic and it was just cumbersome. Now, I would get LOGIC 6, cut midi tracks and midi to audio tracks in Logic (giving me instant access to the EXS sampler and Logic's great notation), then import to PT to do vocals, live guitars and mix, where my Control 24 really shines. I like the plan, Im just a bit worried about this whole importing tracks thing. I thought OMF solved all this?