Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-19-2021, 02:49 PM

Default How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

All these tiny little problems I’m having I guess I’m the only one since this form is kind of barren with the info sharing about issues… Even though I can regularly see them with weird screen redraws and many people here in Los Angeles are having similar odd problems… Not the kind of problems which is easily fixable it just seems like dozens of small glitches randomly each day…

I’m going to assume that’s there are some people who true to Protools recommendations are on Intel Mac, Big Sur as recommended by Protools and using the latest version of the software without issue… I’m gonna assume that because as stated in another thread there doesn’t seem to be many people talking about their issues, so

Who here has wipe their computer put the latest OS and A clean install of 2021.7

I realize this might be even a multi day procedure… Especially with all these plug-ins

if anyone’s done this and knows a quicker version using a back up software where you can bring your stuff back in without bringing all the problems please share thank you

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]

Last edited by Rectifried; 09-21-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

I do it every year.

Once the major update is out, plan ahead. Do not go for dot-zero release but instead wait until dot-one or dot-two.

Then first do the upgrade Apple-way if you have libraries to update, then backup and clean install. After clean install do not use any automated migration tool but install everything from scratch. Whatever libraries you have in cloud will download just as before clean install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2021, 03:27 PM

Default Re: How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

Another note.

Once you have a fully working system, make a clone of it. Many swear CCC is the best there is, but have a solid backup you can revert to in case of any problems.

But with that said, generally speaking, once you do a clean install for a major OS update, it is good until you do it again for next major OS update.

Of course on my beta team days I did clean install on every dot release to get a clean starting point for troubleshooting. That however is not necessary for most.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM

thx Janne
I am gaining confidence... On the plugin front do you manually reinstall all? Im supposing the machine authorization will still recognizer the machine..
Im thinking to save my plugin folder just to remember what I have..
I really want to wipe it
last clean install.. I remember PT opened fast It was a generally snappier system.. but I was coming from a MBP 2012

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 09-19-2021, 07:45 PM

Yes, I really manually reinstall everything once a year. That is why I have less problems than average Tom, Dick and Harry.

I also check if there are plugin updates EVERY single time I update PT between clean installs, because as a former beta tester I first hand know badly plugins affect to PT performance greatly.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
thx Janne
Im supposing the machine authorization will still recognizer the machine..
Im thinking to save my plugin folder just to remember what I have..
I highly recommend you deauthorize your plugins if they are authorized on the machine HD. ie. Waves or Izotope.

You stand a chance of running into headaches if you do not deauthorize before wiping and re-installing the OS
Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 PM

Yes, and also send a message to such vendors that you would like to have iLok authorization to make reinstalls easier. Machine (serial number or challenge-response) authorizations are really not todays thing anymore.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I highly recommend you deauthorize your plugins if they are authorized on the machine HD. ie. Waves or Izotope.

You stand a chance of running into headaches if you do not deauthorize before wiping and re-installing the OS
Waves can optionally be authorised to a USB stick. I did it here years ago and it’s saved hassle installing on new Macs and with clean OS installs.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:29 PM

but avids death by 1000 cuts with the last year of sw has me .. hmm frustrated

I think:

If they Approve of BigSur on their site.. then thats IT use that
If they have Mac 6,1approved.. then I use that

If it all is gitched out.. then Its not me.
so onto reinstall.. hoping native inst/ omisph/ toontrack wont be painful

Old 09-21-2021, 05:08 AM

I also do a clean install every year. One thing I've learned is to download the original .0 of a new OS when it comes out and create a bootable thumb drive...even if I'm not ready to install. Got burned a few years ago with a .x version of Mac OS that had serious issues with PT...and Apple would not provide a previous full version so I could go back and wipe and reinstall. It's easier to have that .0 version handy and move up from there in case of an emergency.

Time machine or other backups work as well.